Our portfolio company Abatable
is looking to hire a Full-Stack Software Engineer
(m/f/d)!Fight climate change by helping companies offset their carbon emissions
Limiting global warming emissions to 1.5°C requires rapid and far-reaching action - and it is down to us. Recent scientific evidence suggests that in addition to emission reductions initiatives, we would now also need to consider balancing remaining emissions by removing CO2 from the air.
Roughly 25% of global emissions are hard-to-abate and companies need offsetting to achieve their net zero goals. But today 90% of carbon offsets on the market are tied to avoided emissions instead of carbon removal claims, which are instead better aligned to the 1.5 degree Paris goal.
Abatable recommends companies the right offsetting portfolio bundle based on budget, impact, and location preferences, with a focus on carbon removal offsets.
We founded Abatable in July 2021 and we are backed by Global Founders Capital and Y Combinator (S21).
Our founding team has a strong founder-product fit to tackle this problem. Maria was previously VP at Goldman Sachs, where she advised large companies on forestry investments and carbon procurement, and Valerio was a Product Manager at Monzo, Google and Facebook.Build Abatable with us
We're looking for our second software engineer to help us to build the first version of our carbon offsetting platform and shape the technology that underpins all of it.
We'll work together on creating a database that captures key aspects of the carbon offsetting marketplace and the internal tooling to evaluate the offsetting projects and bundle them into diversified portfolios. This will serve as the foundation for other projects that we'll be working on, such as a web application and recommendation engine that helps customers to identify and purchase carbon offsetting portfolios that match their goals and constraints.
You'll join as a full-stack engineer where you'll be involved in all stages and aspects of the product development process. This means that one day you might work on improving our CI setup, another day you might develop a secure and performant API endpoint, and at other times you might create an interactive UI to display carbon offsetting information. On top of this, you'll get the opportunity to shape not only what but also how we build our software products.Who we're looking for
We don't believe in defining strict requirements for any role. In fact, we are quite open-minded about the type of candidates we want to meet. However, we are an early stage company so it's important that we tell you more about the expectations we have for this role so that you can understand whether you'd feel fulfilled and energised to come work everyday:
What we offer
- 3+ years of software engineering experience. You must have a solid foundation in backend engineering and be keen to work with our tech stack which is currently made up of Typescript, React/Next.js, Prisma, and PostgreSQL on Heroku.
- Strong product-centric mindset. As an early-stage startup, it is important to us that everyone deeply understands what we're trying to build, who we're trying to build it for, and how to get there. You should be interested in the way software products are built and comfortable to be proactive with your ideas and opinions.
- An entrepreneurial self-starter. You enjoy having end-to-end ownership of product features and working in a fast-moving, ambiguous environment.
- Healthy pragmatism. You offer product/engineering tradeoffs upfront and suggest solutions that allow us to move fast and bring the business forward.
- You are open-minded and inclusive in your work and communication style.
How to apply
- Opportunity to join a early-stage climate tech startup will learn a great deal about climate change and the carbon offsetting space.
- Learn what it means to build a new company from the ground up.
- The choice to structure your compensation package, with a competitive salary (£60-70k) and an attractive share options package (0.15-0.25%).
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with anything else you think might help your application. In your email, tell us a bit about you and what excites you about the possibility of working with us!
We'll be in touch with next steps as quickly as we can.