Engineer - Test and DevelopmentLocation
Guildford / FarnboroughThe Company
- In a nutshell, we build buses and coaches. In fact, more than half of the buses you see on the roads in the UK are built by Alexander Dennis. We have a huge responsibility for keeping the world moving.
- We are saving the planet. Our purpose is to support Governments globally with their push to reduce pollution and improve air quality by building greener, more eco-friendly buses.
- We love our customers. So much so, almost every bus we build is bespoke - what the customer wants, we will do our best to deliver.
- We have a fantastic Canadian parent company called NFI. They welcomed us into the family in 2019, and we haven't looked back ever since.
- There is no doubt about it - it was a tough 2020 for Alexander Dennis. But now we are building back, winning new orders in Germany and Ireland which will be manufactured right here in the UK.
- Our global footprint is pretty impressive. We have a presence in some super cool places across the world from Hong Kong to Auckland to Toronto.
Want to know even more? Check out our YouTube channel here!Your Dream Role
- Simply put, you will be primarily responsible for chassis systems test work, managing several projects ranging from in-service component investigation to multi-vehicle test and sign off programmes.
- Conduct a combination of on-site and contracted tests to demonstrate that our supplier's components meet their installation guidelines when installed into our vehicles.
- Lead test activities through the management and procurement of parts, vehicle, or rig test build/modification, conduct the tests, results analysis and report writing.
- Use your engineering skills to apply the right instrumentation and data logging systems, arranging test facilities, internal or external, whilst providing technical expertise and guidance to the T&D team in completing the tests.
- Ensure that tests are technically fit for purpose, objective, conclusive and were necessary meet appropriate legislation or supplier sign off criteria.
- Plan the test element detail. Organise and book internal and external resources to deliver the test work to the required project milestones.
- Opportunities like this don't come along often - you will have exposure to a wide range of projects and senior stakeholders globally.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the automotive industry and in particular; bus, coach, HGV, specialist vehicles or tier-1 suppliers.
- We would also consider those coming from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine or other similarly complex engineering environments.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding and ideally experience of bus and or commercial vehicle systems; in particular Drive line systems (Mech & Electrical), air systems, structural testing and supplier sign off testing.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships across all levels of seniority, internally and externally.
- You won't be afraid to challenge the status quo, constantly striving to improve the way we do things.
- Be IT literate, proficient in the use of Microsoft packages, as well as data analysis software. An understanding of CAD packages would be good too.
- Things can be hectic here. You will remain calm under pressure, be able to multi-task and deliver projects on time.
- Generally, someone who is approachable, with a strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.
- Degree Qualified in Mechanical Engineering or have equivalent work experience.
If this sounds like you, then it would be great to hear from you. Alongside uploading your CV, it would be great if you could include a short covering letter detailing the four or so reasons why you are suited to the role.
Recommend a friend reward is applicable for this role.
We care deeply about being inclusive and we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Due to the volume of vacancies and applications, we would prefer that you submit your application online. If however, you require an alternative method of applying, please give us call on +44 1324 621 672 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org