Software Engineer iOS - London
News UK : Wireless, Technology
We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless , a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
Your team: Wireless is part of a thriving engineering community in Technology who design, develop and operate all of News UK's customer facing products and platforms. We are ushering in a new age of radio and audio products, focusing on new technologies and platforms that will drive our strategic goals across the ecosystem, starting with the talkSPORT app.
Your role: Software Engineer iOS. We are looking for a talented and passionate Senior Engineer to join our iOS team based in London.
Day to day you will: As a Software Engineer you will work alongside our other engineers, product owners and stakeholders based in London and Sofia to contribute to the technical conversations that ensure we build best-in-class software. You'll be responsible for the implementation of agreed tactical strategy.
What we're looking for from you: You're a true engineer with a passion for well crafted and tested code, considering everything from architecture and security to performance. You understand agile methodologies and enjoy collaboration. You lead by example, encouraging your peers to constantly improve. You have a continuous improvement mindset and are proactive in driving positive change, encouraging those around you to do the same.
You love engineering and constantly want to learn more. You do thorough code reviews to be sure what we produce is of a very high standard. You understand the value of and are a practitioner of TDD/BDD and DevOps as part of development. You are an expert in Apple's Swift and perhaps some other languages too.
As a Software Engineer you'll contribute to the technical direction for our Android products as well as day to day implementing agreed coding standards and best practices.
You'll find these skills useful in this role:
• 2+ years commercial iOS development using Swift and Objective-C.
• Strong grasp of object-oriented software development and tiered design.
• An ability to deliver solutions with iOS UI/UX principles in mind.
• An interest in a quality-led approach to development (like Unit Testing).
• Ability to effectively communicate with team mates.
What's in it for you? We are a diverse and dynamic team that is expanding. We have an amazing office, a flexible working pattern and a great team environment. We'll help you deliver your best work and grow you with career and personal development through training, conferences and courses.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK. Alongside pay, we offer:
· A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
· A comprehensive private medical scheme covering pre-existing conditions;
· Maternity leave of up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave of up 2 weeks full basic salary;
· Discounted rates for Fitness First gym membership for employees and immediate family;
· A range of different flexible working options, which can be requested by employees;
· Interest free commuter loan of up to £10,000 tax free
· Bikes For Work' scheme to save income tax and national insurance;
· Up to four Volunteering Days per year for employees to use on charities of choice;
· Health and wellbeing benefits including on-site physio/massage, counselling, legal advice, and others.
Flexible Working: At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. Please talk to us at the interview about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse team and so want to maximise every individual's potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.