Our payments application portfolio is undergoing a transformation programme that spans the next few years. We're looking at what the biggest tech companies in the world are doing to help solve the huge complexities of our critical systems and embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking.
Our focus is shifting to concepts of event streams or event driven architectures. And we're looking to utilise technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems capable of handlings hundreds of thousands of events per second.
The purpose? Outstanding customer experience. This is an exciting time to join if you're keen to make an impact.
Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
What you'll be doing
- Have strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
- Early lifecycle involvement working with Architects and Business Analysts helping to shape solutions from the outset of a project
- Production of High Level Designs and/or Detailed Designs, covering functional and non-functional design
- Technical leadership and oversight of detailed analysis & design and subsequent development
- Design consultancy to all disciplines at all stages of the software lifecycle
- Leading and participating in workshops, design walkthroughs and critical design reviews
- Production and reviewing of design and build estimates
- Mentoring and coaching junior members of staff
- Setting standards, authoring design patterns, providing design governance and contributing to process improvement
- Experience in non-functional design is essential with particular emphasis on resilience, security and performance
- Background in development is desirable
- Background in design is essential
- Experience in financial systems is desirable though not essential
- Background in Linux system development is desirable although Nationwide has a very diverse technology landscape
- Background in any of the following is desirable... cloud based solutions, API development, systems integration
- Familiarity with UML is desirable,
- Experience of working in Agile/DevOps teams is essential
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it's only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we'll help further your career with us.
• Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we'll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 25 days' holiday plus bank holidays
• Option to 'buy' 10 days more holiday
• Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
• Annual performance related bonus scheme
Why work at Nationwide
We're a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we've supported each other and our communities, and we've done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you'll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What's more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We're committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you'd like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.