iwoca started in 2012 and was born out of the frustration that small businesses lack the access to finance they need to reach their potential. Our belief then was that technology must enable us to significantly shorten the archaic 8-week bank application process which more often than not results in a 'no'. Nearly a decade later and we have served more than 50,000 businesses across the UK and Germany with more than £2 billion of finance. Our personal best from a business starting an application to money in the bank is 3m26s (faster than Mo Farah on 1,500 meters). It's a good start, but it's just the beginning.
Our mission is to finance 1 million businesses, so still, a long way to go.
Through the course of our journey, we have learned that
- SME lending is a tech play at heart - processing applications from SMEs of all shapes and sizes is very complex, and the effective use of technology is essential for doing that at scale
- Embedded finance is the future for SME lending - businesses won't need to go to banks anymore. We're increasingly reaching businesses by embedding our finance offering through API integrations into the SME ecosystem including online marketplaces, accountancy systems, or neobanks
- Payments and credit are converging Many businesses have cash-flow gaps because they receive money from their customers only way after having to pay their own bills. So we want to tackle the cashflow problem by offering loans, but also tackle the problem at its root by improving payment terms.
- We must continuously innovate in order to meet more of our customers' finance needs - we won the BCR which helped us launch iwocapay, and we're soon launching a revenue-based loan. We're constantly evaluating new opportunities, and finding new ways that we can meet the financing needs of more small businesses.
We work hard to make iwoca a place where everyone feels welcome, where you can confidently be yourself. We understand that diversity isn't an optional add-on, it's the core ingredient of what makes us great.RequirementsAbout the role
At iwoca we are dedicated to building the smartest lending platform in the world as we believe that finance should be as simple, seamless and powerful as electricity. We like to work to an Agile-ish processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
We are very fortunate to have a passionate and dedicated CTO / Co-founder who ensures that Tech is always at the forefront of the business so the work you do is always valued. We use React+Redux for our public facing projects, with focus on adhering to ES6 standards. We are practical developers who like to use the best tools for the job rather than the newest, shiniest tools as we believe that performance and code quality are key.
Right now we are developing new features for our in-house application which serves our 100+ operations team. You would be joining a flexible team open to making changes to our current tech stack, so you will have plenty of opportunity to have an input on the direction of the business/product. We believe in investing in research to find the best possible outcome.Your role will include
- Gathering business requirements from different stakeholders (in the tech team, but also in the whole company)
- Building solutions that covers these data requirements, which will involve a wide range of domains (frontend, backend, devops) to give you an overall understanding of the web stack
- End-to-end software engineering, from coming up with concepts to seeing them go live in production (writing code, manual and automated testing and code reviewing)
- Measuring the impact of your work
We look for people that are smart
and who are always looking to improve
. Ideally, you'll have
- A good understanding of testing from e2e to unit testing (we use a lot of Jest, Enzyme, react-testing-library and a bit of Puppeteer)
- Experience in automating tasks, we mainly use Webpack
- Experience with CSS3 (including post/pre-processors) and HTML5
- Experience with version control systems, ideally Git
We want to pay all of our employees fairly, so that's why we regularly benchmark salaries based on market rates and to recognise your increasing value to our business. We are ideally looking to pay between £45,000 - £80,000 for this role, this isn't fixed so let us know in your application what you are looking for.Benefits
What's life like as an iwocan?
We all enjoy
- Bright, modern office spaces in Covent Garden & Leeds. We have always supported flexible working however during the current pandemic the majority of iwocans are working from home. We have taken every precaution to keep our offices COVID-19 secure for those that need to use them.
- A calendar of 'remote friendly' events each week including Bingo, Comedy Nights, Escape Room challenges
- Two company retreats a year (in places like the French Alps or Spanish seaside)
- Pool, ping pong, foosball tables and tournaments
- Virtual Yoga classes every Tuesday and Thursday morning
- An ever-growing number of clubs including climbing, chess, football and boxing
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our office kitchen
Just for you
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- We take your well being incredibly seriously, so you'll have instant access to emotional and mental health support services via our partner Spill
- Share options
- Enhanced maternity and shared parental leave
- A workplace nursery tax benefit scheme. Save £££ on your nursery costs.
- 25 days holiday per year and an extra day off on your birthday
- All the equipment you need to set up your home working space up
- Paid volunteering time for you to support your chosen charity
- Bring your dog to work days, we're dog friendly on Tuesday and Thursdays in our London office.
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- Special celebrations for anniversaries and long service including sabbatical
- Flexible working arrangements
- Cycle-to-work scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer
- L&D budget including a book budget to encourage you to keep learning
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- A calendar of meetups we host at our office
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code.