Primary Purpose of Role
· As a Mechanical Engineer, to perform activities for the development and delivery of Mechanical analysis, tests and justifications for a variety of space projects and products.
· Contribute to development projects for space systems and payloads, from Phase A to Phase C/D.
· Perform structural analysis activities to verify mechanical designs for space hardware and ground support equipment.
· Perform iterations of the design with analysis updates.
· Manage the Mechanical aspects of the qualification phase with predictions and test procedures for mechanical testing (vibration, shock).
· Generate FEMs, results, documentation and presentations.
Key Responsibilities and tasks
· Delivery of the following activities:
· Hand calculations and generation of FEMs to perform initial sizing of structural parts and assemblies
· Provide feedback to the design team on the suitability of the design for the loads.
· Generate preliminary and detailed FEMs of systems, subsystems and parts.
· Perform solutions and postprocess the results. Typical analyses include quasi-static, thermoelastic, modal, sine, random vibration and acoustic.
· Coupled-loads analysis and notching strategy.
· Compute safety margins and other parameters of merit, and present them in analysis reports
· Fastener, panel insert and adhesive joint sizing.
· Weld fatigue analysis
· Model checking, and peer review of others models.
· Generate and document deliverable models, including reduced FEMs
· Lead the development and test plan/qualification sequence for the mechanical aspects.
· Lead the interface definition, for example with interface loads.
· Identify the key drivers for the product competitiveness related to mechanical aspects.
· Contribute to the Alignment / Alignment Stability Budgets
· Optimise the design of parts as necessary to minimise mass, maximise stiffness within MoS constraints.
· Develop and generate design justifications
· Review, develop and implement Mechanical Analysis processes, procedures and tools in-line with project goals and methods.
· Manage analysis tasks between themselves, the team and contractors.
· Manage Mechanical workpackages, including forecasting and estimating.
Experience and Skills
· Responsibility for structural analysis using MSC Nastran and Patran and Siemens Femap for:
· Production of FEMs, including defeaturing, meshing and checking.
· Setting up, running and assessing static structural, dynamic, random, sine, acoustic and thermoelastic analyses.
· Model reduction
· Mapping of thermal cartography onto structural models
· Interface loads recovery
· Experience 3-8 Years in the Space domain (Mandatory)