We are looking for a Budget & Reporting Manager
to join our growing teamPosition Overview
The Budget and Reporting Manager is a key member of our growing finance and operations team. She/he is responsible for managing the organization's budgeting system, policies, and processes and working with department\region budget owners to create and monitor operating budgets. She/he is accountable for preparing and providing financial and narrative reports and analysis to programs, senior management and the board of director. She/he will ensure accurate and timely alignment of grants budgets with institutional operating budgets. She/he ensures consistent and accurate entry of balance score card data, as well as accurate analysis and presentation of this information.
This position under the supervision of the VP, Finance & Operations is expected to provide leadership in the areas of budget and grant management systems improvement and taking initiative to implement new processes to support Rare's growth.
Budget Management and Reporting
- Lead development of institutional planning and budgeting process (both revenue and cost), including the development of the budget manual and templates, creation of tools to develop work plans, work with programs developing budgets, and reconciliation of budgets with programmatic work plans and organizational goals.
- Lead the production of financial analyses and presentations for Rare's Board of Trustees throughout the year.
- Develop regular financial reports and analysis forecasting and trending budget performance and institutional financial positioning for VP, Finance and Operations and Senior Leadership team.
- Assist the VP of Finance and Operations, Chief Operating Officer, and executive leadership team on special projects that require financial analysis.
- Lead processes and communications regularly working with department/region budget owners across the organization to monitor and revise budgets throughout the year and life of project(s).
- Ensure compliance with current budget and spending policies, and propose improved policies and systems regarding spending guidelines, cost savings, cost allocation, and annual planning.
- Develop and maintain templates and SOP's related to budget management.
- Liaise with both the development team and their systems to ensure that across departments there is financial continuity, accuracy, and adherence to key processes such as clear cost and revenue accounting, reporting and compliance.
- Work with the Finance team to streamline internal financial reports and reporting processes to deliver more efficient, more effective, and more useful reports and analysis.
- Provide training to staff on budget management processes and systems
- Guarantee grants budgets align with institutional budgets and forecasts.
- Closely monitor grant performance for major institutional donors.
- Work with grants management team to ensure that key processes and systems are in place to manage grant risk assessments, donor financial compliance, and reporting management processes.
Balance Scorecard (BSC)
- Manage and maintain the online BSC tool
- Coordinate quarterly data updates and prepares reporting for senior leadership and Board of Trustees.
- Provides training to staff of BSC processes and systems
Required Qualifications (Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities)
Bachelor's Degree in Business administration, Finance or closely related field; Masters Degree highly preferred.
- 5-7 years' of budgeting, financial reporting and financial systems work experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Advance proficiency in Microsoft Excel and experience with financial systems integration.
- Experience in budgeting and budget planning including development of annual budgets, forecasting and variance analysis.
- Experience of grants management implications in budgeting and with proposal budget development.
- Knowledge of accounting software (e.g. Sage MIP)
- Demonstrated project management and problem solving and ability skills to find creative solutions.
- Proven ability to prioritize projects and initiate follow through with meticulous attention detail.
- Excellent data presentation skills and ability to write clearly and concisely.