You will work closely with the company's highly talented and close-knit team, be at the forefront of an industry-wide digital revolution, and use your technical skills to help solve the Housing Crisis. You will be responsible for our unique platform's architecture and development, together with the team's other technical staff. The role will involve problem-solving on all levels, from project management to writing code.
If you have experience taking an advanced MVP and successfully scaling it to the next level, if you are excited to roll up your sleeves and take ownership of the product and make it amazing, and if you are passionate about solving the Housing Crisis through better use of data, this job is for you.Who are we?
We are a growing, young and energetic (award-winning) team with expertise in real estate and geospatial analysis. We have our main office at Tramshed Tech in Cardiff and a base in London at Geovation. Founded in 2014, our business has built a strong reputation in our industry, attracting clients including HM Government and Transport for London. As a profitable business, we have learned a lot over the years and now have a clear understanding of our clients' needs, our business priorities and the processes that we need to build to help us to continue to be successful. We have a clear idea for our next stage of growth, and we are looking for the right Full Stack Developer to catapult us into our successful future.
We are building a data-driven land analysis and scoring platform for property development. Aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. We also have a focus over the next year of automating a lot of our existing systems.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe's first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK's mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. We have been featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others, and are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / 'Future of Planning' movement for our work. Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that cares deeply about cities, society, economics and the environment.Requirements
You are a full-stack developer with 3+ years of commercial Backend application experience using Node.js. You have experience developing on top of Frontend frameworks using HTML/CSS/JS preferably using React.js.
More specifically, you must have a solid grasp of:
- Native or fluent level of English
- Proven experience in architecting or developing a SaaS product in the cloud
- Backend application development experience using Node.js with Express
- PostgreSQL and preferably PostGIS
- Developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with microservices or serverless architecture and their best practices
- Experience with Google Cloud Services
- Knowledge of Docker, K8s
- Knowledge of Git and Gitflow or any other strategy/workflow
- Proven expert knowledge and skills in software engineering and industry best practices (e.g. clean code, continuous integration, continuous delivery, TDD and BDD)
- Outstanding communication skills that deliver effectively to both tech and non-tech team members
It would be nice if you had:
BenefitsWe can offer
- Experience in using a range of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience in developing data pipelines
- Familiarity with Auth0
- Experience with geospatial data and server integration (GeoServer)
- Commercial savviness and experience to deeply engage with our business questions and provide advice on technical solutions
- An interest in property, economics, cities, society and/or the environment
You will play a key role in our growing team and design and develop our core technology. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK's opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is only just waking up to the digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting technical challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package and equity (commensurate with experience)
- Work remotely (we'll provide you with an allowance to work at a co-working space near you)
- Company pension
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)