The revolution won't be televised. It will be streamed. We're re-inventing the way the world watches TV, and that's a story we'd like your help telling.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers worldwide while gaining meaningful experience across various disciplines.About The Role
Roku pioneered TV streaming and continues to innovate and lead the industry. The Roku Channel has us well-positioned to help shape the future of streaming. Continued success relies on investing in the Roku Cloud TV Platform so we deliver high quality streaming TV experience at a global scale.
You will be part of the Roku Video Services team and responsible for building the next generation video services for the Roku Cloud TV Platform. In this role you will work on key video services projects around video ingestion, encoding, VoD/live-linear, DRM and Video QoS, with the goal of delivering best-in-class streaming TV experience across all of Roku devices. The projects that you will work on will impact millions of Roku users around the world. All along, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with key product engineering stakeholders across Roku engineering teams, and lead the design of our video services platform.
The ideal candidate will have endless curiosity and can pair a global mindset with locally relevant execution. You should be a gritty problem solver and self-starter who can drive programs with the product and commercial teams within Roku and across external strategic partner organizations. The successful candidate will display a balance of hard and soft skills, including the ability to respond quickly to changing business needs.
What you'll be doing
You will work with a team of engineers towards building high availability cloud hosted video platform that powers key elements of the Roku Over-the-Top (OTT) platform.
- Implement scalable and robust video processing pipelines, improve video workflows including transcoding, packaging, and publishing
- Build Live direct-to-consumer video streaming solutions with integrated dynamic ad insertion
- Collaborate with media player development teams to deliver high quality, delightful streaming experiences, fine tune quality of experience, investigate and remediate potential streaming quality of service problems
- Collaborate with other engineering groups across the company towards supporting our video services initiatives
- Design and implement highly scalable, and reliable web scale applications
- Translate functional specifications into logical, component-based technical designs
- Key technical contributor to the design and implementation of core software backend components of video services platform
- Write and review code, evaluate architectural tradeoffs for performance and security for high performance, and high concurrency video infrastructure applications
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables with limited supervision
We're excited if you have
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities
- 5+ years of solid programming experience in Java core libraries and developing web server applications, object-oriented design and design patterns, and passionate about writing high quality and well-architected code.
- Experience with modern cloud based video processing platforms, e.g. AWS Elemental or Azure Media Services
- Video Streaming domain knowledge, experience with container formats, e.g. DASH, HLS, CMAF, MPEG-4, etc., and DRM technologies such as Widevine and Fairplay
- Experience with high availability, massively scalable OTT services, Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI), Server-side Ad insertion (SSAI) technologies
- Experience designing, implementing and managing web scale distributed systems and infrastructure platforms, with strong reliability guarantees
- Experience with live video delivery, video origin architecture, and issues of scale for live video delivery
- Experience with design and implementation of modern micro-services architectures and API frameworks (REST/JSON).
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests; strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science plus 8 years of experience or equivalent; Master's degree preferred.
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Hear from one of our leaders
Or hear directly from dozens of our Roku staff around the world.