The future won't be televised. It will be streamed, So why not help shape the interface that millions of people use every single day?Roku Is Changing How The World Watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers worldwide while gaining meaningful experience across various disciplines.About The Role
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV and continues to innovate and lead the industry. While we are well-positioned to help shape the future of television - including TV advertising - around the world, continued success relies on its investment in technological innovation.
With more than 50 million people using our products globally, we've become well-known for products that "just work" right out of the box and integrate almost by magic. That doesn't happen by accident, which is why we are committed to making sure our products aren't just intuitive; they're obvious. Our goal is to help people find what they want and make it easier for people to stream. We accomplish this using state-of-the-art technology and engineering to make it happen, considering the customer as the center of all that we do.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to focus on developing core features for the Roku platform. We are looking for someone with experience building high-performing applications and SDK components who wants to code on a wildly popular consumer electronics platform.
This is an excellent role for a senior professional who enjoys a high level of visibility, thrives on having a critical business impact, and is excited to work on a component that touches almost everything streamed on the Roku platform.What You'll Be Doing
We're excited if you have
- Work closely with product development, platform services, and release management teams to contribute extensively to our embedded UI development and underlying architecture
- Integrate third-party C++ libraries
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve issues within the Roku Platform
The Roku culture
- 7+ years of relevant software development experience and a proven track record of designing and shipping high-quality software on an embedded platform
- Extensive programming experience with C++ and Embedded Linux
- Ability to work in both user and kernel space
- In-depth understanding of Linux, tools, libraries, and open source development
- Understanding of API design considerations and tradeoffs
- Familiarity with tools and libraries such as Boost, PlayReady, ALSA, DIAL a plus
- Experience with memory management and multi-threaded development
- Experience with OpenGL and DirectFB
- Media / Video knowledge such as codecs, media streaming, etc. would also be a plus
- Ideally, embedded and consumer electronics experience
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule
- Degree in computer science or equivalent
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2014 in the UK and 2002 worldwide