It isn't easy spotting bugs before the customer does, but that's exactly why you do itRoku Is Changing How The World Watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable - and valued - contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.About The Role
This is a great role for a software test engineer with a strong background in video streaming technologies that takes pride in developing reliable automated tools. These tools will be used on a daily basis to further improve our products and create the highest quality products possible. In this role, you will develop tools that test, monitor, and analyse metrics of millions of players.
Roku is seeking a versatile Software Test Engineer to build out a fully automated media player test suite as well as performance monitoring tools. You will be responsible for creating automated media player tests and all the required infrastructure surrounding it. This includes extending a 'mini-CDN' setup with programmable network shapers and adaptive content libraries. Your tests will cover VOD and live streams as well as clear and encrypted content with corresponding license servers. You will work cross-functionally with various engineering teams from embedded systems to web services and our mobile group.The role requires an energetic and self-motivated individual with excellent communication, organisation, and technical skills.What You'll Be Doing
We're excited if you have
- Develop and maintain an automation framework focused on testing media playback.
- Build an in-house test content library with adaptive streams, VOD streams, live streams, streams with captions, as well as encrypted and unencrypted streams.
- Build and maintain a server infrastructure that can stream live video and simulate various network conditions.
- Develop tools to monitor and analyze player performance.
- Review feature specifications, write test plans, and develop automated tests.
- Schedule automated tests, monitor test results, and file Jira tickets.
- Advise and work together with the firmware team to create a player that's highly testable.
The Roku culture
- Excellent Python programming skills
- Knowledge of network technologies and libraries such as TCP/IP and HTTP
- knowledge of media formats and adaptive streaming standards like HLS and Dash
- Knowledge of DRM technologies like Widevine and PlayReady
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- 2+ years of experience developing test plans & test cases
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.