Role - DevOps EngineerContract Type - Full-TimeLocation - Bristol (remote during COVID-19, office based after)Salary - circa £65,000p.a DOE Are you a Systems Engineer that would like to have more exposure in working on Cloud?About the role
The role is part of our Operations department, planning, deploying, monitoring our complex distributed infrastructure. Automation is a key component of this role to improve customer experience, quality and speed of delivery to new and existing customers. This requires knowledge and experience with configuration management and infrastructure automation tools, in addition to an appreciation of software development processes and toolsets.
The role supports the customer delivery process, working with customers to design, build and support solutions in a multi-cloud. This will normally include configuration of the YellowDog
platform, customer demonstrations, contributing to solution design, and implementation. As part of this process you will typically be building reusable infrastructure components to facilitate fast and repeatable solution deployments.
Some activities will require travel to customer sites across the globe, depending on the size and value of the project. Pandemic permitting.Responsibilities
- Work with the Infrastructure Product Owner to plan, design and build infrastructure in the cloud for YellowDog's central infrastructure
- Work with the Delivery Manager to plan, design and build customers' solutions in the cloud
- Provide initial operational support and escalation of incidents to Platform Engineering as required
- Work with the Network Engineer to support customers' VPN connectivity
- Monitoring and troubleshooting of customer solutions
- Proactive monitoring of systems' security and performance, including penetration testing and resolving vulnerabilities
- Ensure infrastructure is resilient, secure and compliant with Information Security Management System standards
- Documenting solutions and changes
- Ensuring helpdesk systems, logs and records are kept up to date; respond to customer support requests within the agreed SLAs
- Participation in the out-of-hours rota as required (8am - 10pm)
- Support YellowDog team members with internal systems administration, including Office 365 and productivity application onboarding
- Maintain software and operating system licenses
- Monitor cloud usage using internal reporting tools; improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness
The Systems Engineer will need to be comfortable working with and advising on:
- Deployment and Administration in a mixed OS environment. We primarily use Linux based systems, in addition to Windows where it is required
- Configuration management using tools such as Ansible/Puppet/Chef, we use Ansible
- Infrastructure lifecycle management using tools such as Terraform and Packer
- Cloud infrastructure concepts, such as images, networks, instance lifecycles and cloud-init
- Networking protocols and concepts, including DNS, DHCP, VPNs, preferably with experience in a cloud environment
- Standard storage protocols and technologies, such as NFS, Object Storage, and Windows File Services
- Systems and process automation using Bash, Python and PowerShell
- Development lifecycle tools, such as Git, Jira and CircleCI
YellowDog enables companies across the globe to power their innovation with the most scalable cloud native scheduler. Businesses can accelerate complex data processes with ease by provisioning compute across multiple regions, availability domains and machine shapes. The YellowDog Platform automates the selection of the Best Source of Compute for every workload, delivering new levels of prediction and efficiency in cost and performance optimisation.
There are multiple uses of our technology, across multiple industries - from Life Sciences, to Financial Services, to CGI and more. Whatever the vertical, we have established a brand known for scaling a business' workloads far beyond what it could achieve on-premise. We have customers in over 40 countries, who are looked after by the team in Bristol.
Venture Capital backed, we pride ourselves in creating an environment we want to work in, offering a career defining role for all individuals. We are looking for new team members who can bring a range of new skills, experiences, and backgrounds to this exciting opportunity.