UKFast is looking for an Enterprise Linux Technical Lead to drive us forward on our Public Cloud journey.
Reporting to our Enterprise Linux Team Leader, you will be the pinnacle point of escalation for all-things-Linux at UKFast. This team is vital in our journey towards advancing our customer offering in AWS technologies. You will therefore be instrumental in experimenting and adopting new technologies, tools, and processes to contribute to our public cloud support challenge.
This role is ideal for someone who is confident working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and is used to dealing with large-scale customer environments. A person who has an innate motivation to stay up to date with the latest technologies, whilst sharing that knowledge with their peers too!
Future progression opportunities are also abundant, whether that be to move into a more project-based cloud and DevOps engineering role or to dip your toes in people management. Either way, this role will be a highly rewarding opportunity for the successful candidate. What you will do
What you will bring
- Act as an escalation point for UKFast staff and UKFast clients, the role is to be one of our most senior Linux engineers.
- Respond to break and fix support requests, your role will involve providing resolutions to clients in as little hops as possible. Using evidence whenever possible to find the root cause of issues, avoiding repeat occurrences.
- Provide technical architecture reviews and recommendations through consultation with UKFast clients and internal Solution Architects.
- To engage within the business (and third-party providers where appropriate) regarding escalations, reviews, updates, and strategy news. Ultimately creating and building good relationships.
- Provide seamless availability to internal teams and external clients, via all contact points (Phones, email, web portal) during core working hours.
- Ensure efficient and effective transitions between teams and shifts.
- Prepare the Linux support team for new product/ service releases / the adoption of new technologies.
- Contribute to improved processes, procedures, and documentation.
- A proven track record of building, installing, and supporting Linux servers, ideally Red Hat/Ubuntu-based distributions.
- Significant experience of Linux systems in complex multi-server solutions environment.
- Experience installing, configuring, and supporting Apache/NGiNX, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Varnish, Pacemaker, CRM Clustering, Kubernetes, ELK, and Redis.
- Exposure to diagnosing various server issues using standard open-source tools.
- Thorough understanding of command-line scripting.
- Experience using Linux control panels, such as cPanel and Plesk.
- Certification to RHCSA or equivalent is desirable.
- Motivation to provide impeccable customer service whilst working in a lean, collaborative, and fast-paced environment.
- A positive, passionate, and can-do attitude with a strong interest to learn and develop yourself professionally.
- A good understanding of security and backup solutions.
- Experience supporting public cloud-based solutions is desirable.
- A history with configuration management and/or infrastructure as code is desirable.
- Birthdays off as an extra paid holiday
- Private health insurance after one years' service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service.
- Work from home
- Award-winning training and education centre with four full-time teachers to help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn.
- Pearson Vue test centre on-site
- On-site gym
- Games zone with arcade games and retro consoles.
- Free onsite parking
- Table tennis and pool tables
- Team building experiences
- Weekly virtual quiz nights and team parties
- Volunteer days to help support our community and charity partners
- Active and engaged diversity groups with events and educational sessions arranged regularly