At TrueLayer, we want the financial system to work for everyone - so we've made it our mission to open up access and put fintech at people's fingertips. As an API platform, TrueLayer deeply cares about its developer experience. With our product offering continuing to grow, our Developer Experience team is dedicated to creating a cohesive, feature-rich platform experience for developers to integrate with and manage our products.
As a Backend Engineer in the Developer Experience team you'll be responsible for developing new features which propel TrueLayer's platform to a market-leading experience for developers. Working in a cross-functional team of engineers, product managers and designers, you'll be a confident communicator and diligent engineer who thrives on taking responsibility, setting the highest standards of quality and raising the bar for everyone around you.
In addition to working with modern development frameworks and cloud technologies, we are committed to helping you develop new skills and advance in your career. Whether you want to continue to grow your technical expertise or move into leadership, we have clear and tangible paths for everyone, irrespective of your level of experience, role or discipline.Who We Are
At TrueLayer, we build intelligent financial infrastructure that puts fintech at people's fingertips.
Businesses use our global network, built on open banking and PSD2, to securely access financial data and enable instant payments. Headquartered in London with offices in Milan, Dublin, Sydney, and Hong Kong, we've raised $142M to date and we're trusted by some of the biggest names in tech, including Revolut, Trading 212, and Zopa.
We are systems builders, design thinkers, product crafters and committed doers. We work in a collaborative, transparent environment where people can be their true selves, embrace ownership and accountability, and build something that will define an industry.
Our vision is to create a financial ecosystem that is open to everyone. We grew from a UK leader in 2020 to a global provider in 2021, operating in 12+ countries. The thing is, we're just getting started...As a Backend Engineer, you will
RequirementsYou'll need to demonstrate
- Develop greenfield services which empower our customers with the features they need to onboard, build, use and manage our products from the TrueLayer console
- Define and build critical architecture that scales as we roll-out our customer onboarding platform worldwide
- Work in our cross-functional Developer Experience team, collaborating with world-class Designers, Engineers and Product Managers to deliver developer-facing features across the TrueLayer platform
- Own new product features, developing iteratively and shipping to production daily
- Collaboratively iterate on the design and implementation of our products
- Lead code reviews and provide guidance to junior engineers to maximise their potential and growth
- Help shape our engineering culture and help make sure TrueLayer remains an exceptional place to work
We'd be especially excited if you
- Strong experience building APIs in any backend programming language (we use C# /.NET Core & Rust)
- Understanding of SOLID principles and software development best practices
- Appreciation of benefits and tradeoffs involved with different architectural decisions when designing microservices
- Ability to evaluate, and implement various testing strategies depending on the situation
- Familiarity with observability and alerting within mission-critical distributed systems
- A drive to continually improve processes, code quality and enjoyment within the team
- Have some understanding of of Protocol Buffers, gRPC, and message queue systems
- Have used end to end testing tools such as Cypress, Playwright, Puppeteer or Selenium
- Are experienced, or interested, in building front ends with TypeScript & React
£55,000-£75,000/yr + equityWhat You Can Expect From Us
Inclusion & Diversity
- A collaborative, transparent environment in which you can be your true self, learn and grow
- Attend conferences and training courses using our learning & development allowance (£1000/yr)
- Flexible hours ⌛
- Both remote and office working, with 20% of your time spent in our London office Note we're 100% remote during the pandemic
- Choice of Linux or Mac technology
- A one-off contribution of £175 to help you set up your home office
- Flexible holiday policy - minimum 24 days. If you need more, just ask ✈️
- 12 fully-paid wellbeing days a year (on top of your holiday allowance) ️
- Generous parental leave above and beyond statutory requirements, for either parent
- Employer pension contributions of 4%
- Private health insurance and dental cover with Bupa ⚕️
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill ♀️
At TrueLayer, we embrace people that have different perspectives and personalities. We believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you - like your age, background and identity - are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do.About Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process typically consists of four stages
- A call with one of our Talent Acquisition Partners
- A take-home exercise [Software Engineering Challenge]
- 1.5-hour video interview with two TrueLayer's engineers
- 2-hour total final round video interview
Full details on the interview process, including preparation tips and the qualities we look for in future TrueLayeristas, can be found on our blog.