Senior Software Engineer[Sys Ops Speciality] - Financial Services Tribe
Here at The Very Group (TVG) we're on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We're doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
The Financial Services (FS) Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology across all our financial products and functions. It supports Account Management, Credit Risk, Fraud, Collections and Recoveries, Customer Payments, Insurance and Retail Credit Products, and will help drive future expansion into new FS products including Personal Loans.
The FS Tribe working model differs drastically from traditional cross-functional teams that typically focus on a single project. Our squads are essentially small start-ups that will take on multiple projects at a time and they will build a part of the product, or even create a full new product. Since each squad has contributors or owners from every domain - from engineering to product, or mobile to design - any squad has the breadth and the depth in terms of skill for end-to-end ownership.
As an Engineer with a specific focus on System Operations you will be at the heart of driving this change forward.
Here you can expect to be involved in
- Working with a team of Software- and Quality Assurance-Engineers of varying levels of technical database experience in a Squad to provide the operational management of the technologies that underpin the FS Applications
- Being part of a squad that will look to migrate an on-premise legacy batch operation to cloud hosting
- Decomposing the operations to build new event driven processes that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future technology roadmap
- Collaborating with the Technical Product Owner, Software Engineering Lead, Architects, Platform Engineers and Third Parties to shape the technology landscape for the operational processes you administer, developing, refining and assuring process standards
- Building secure systems of high availability and scalability depending on each end user's specialised requirements
- Defining users and enabling data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain service monitoring and alerting
- Provide technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and oversee remedial work that is carried out
- Continuously improving and learning how we design our operational processes. Managing technical debt, technical risk while building out standards
- Working with the Technical Product Owner and Software Engineering Lead to ensure we have the right skills blend to successfully deliver and run our technology products
You will work in the Platform Squad in the FS Tribe with initiatives such as
- Reviewing the legacy batch operation to understand its design and to identify opportunities for improvements in performance, security and future decomposition
- Designing and building new event driven processes on a cloud platform ensuring they comply with TVG support standards in a 24 x 7 production environment
- Designing and building new batch processes on a cloud platform where appropriate to support the new technology stack in a 24 x 7 production environment
- You are a technical specialist and enjoy the challenge of building operational process solutions that deliver value to the business, being commercially and risk aware
- Your priorities are improving stability, security and performance of operational processes whether they be batch or real-time event driven solutions
- You know the cloud is the future and the way most businesses should be going and the massive improvements and benefits and opportunities that it brings
- You are a confident technical specialist with experience working in an Agile DevSecOps way where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice to support a business that runs 24 x 7
- You have a drive for continuous improvement and enjoy the challenge of learning new skills and technologies
- You approach all work with the desire to do the best you and your squad can, collaborating with all your colleagues, being an exemplar for how we work effectively as a team
- You will be experienced in the following areas
- You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to discuss complex technical issues with senior non-technical colleagues
- You are experienced in operating in an Agile environment (SCRUM & Kanban) and are constantly looking to automate in areas such as CI/CD and quality assurance
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 days
- Additional flexible benefits allowance £1,000 (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus (based on individual performance vs company)
- Matched pension up 6%
- 1x Life Assurance Private Medical
- Flexible working (2-3 days remote / 2-3 days on-site) - currently the businesses is working fully remotely Self-development time
- Brand discount - up to 25%
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Free on-site parking subject to postcode and availabilityMore
https //theverygroup.jobs/about-usHow To Apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams, Jordan Barlow or Nick Jackson in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
If you are an internal candidate looking to refer someone in, please follow the referrals process and guidelines
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.