carwow is looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to join our Engineering team working on a fully remote basis until at least July 2021. Beyond this, we've introduced a new remote-first flexible working policy which means you'll work from home for the majority of the week with 1 day required in the office (unless you want to be in the office more, in which case you are also welcome!) We're also open to fully remote from outside of London across UK, Spain, and Germany.About Carwow
Let's face it, car buying isn't easy. That's why at carwow, we're leading the mission to make it better, with our vision of helping our customers to be the most informed and empowered car buyers in the world. Since carwow's inception, we've already improved the car buying experience for hundreds of thousands of people, selling cars through our site with a total value of £10.3Bn.
We're a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with a team of circa 250 based in London, Munich and Madrid and are backed by some of Europe's leading VCs & car manufacturer Daimler (Mercedes-Benz).
However, our ambitions don't stop there. This year, we are quickly scaling across many areas of our business with huge plans for the future. So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we'd love you to join us on our journey.About The Role
The Front-end engineering team is the intersection of design and technology. We are crucial to the smooth functioning of our products across various platforms & browsers, ensuring our customers receive the best user-experience every step of their journey. We're looking for an experienced Front End Engineer to join the team and help us achieve this.
What you will be doing
Working in a cross-disciplinary product team, you'll play a pivotal role in the production and delivery of exciting new products we have in the pipeline. This includes
Our tech stack
- Making an impact on our product on a daily basis - pushing code to production within your first day
- Working in a truly data-driven environment. We verify our hypothesis through user research, A/B tests, live data analysis, etc.
- Helping improve the performance of our website and mobile app. Currently we have 3 million visitors per month on our website and we are constantly looking to improve our page speed score.
- Collaborating closely with our design and engineering team to maintain and improve our bespoke UI library and style guide.
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of the team. We have our bi-weekly engineering talks to learn from each other. We also practice pair programming all the time.
- Growing in a supportive environment. We care about staff happiness; we'll make sure you have all the right support and work/life balance to enjoy your job.
- Front-end Rails, Haml, Sass, Vanilla JS, Elm, Webpack
- Back-end Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Heroku
- Mobile React Native
- git, CircleCI
- Terraform, Honeycomb
We're looking for;
- Experience working on a large CSS codebase, using organisational patterns and a mobile-first approach
- Experience working within a backend framework such as Rails, Django, Symfony, etc
- Experience or keen to learn functional programming
- Write clean, modular and performant code
- An eye for good design, usability and enjoy working closely with designers
- The desire to improving our product, following a user-centric, data-driven and pragmatic approach
- Love helping others learn from your experience
- A competitive salary
- Equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve
- Health Private medical health insurance, subsidised gym membership, free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Financial Private pension scheme, salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work), Travel Loan
- Flexible working For those that want to, you'll be able to work from home for the majority of the week, with up to 2 days max in the office and receive a 'home office allowance' of up to £500/€550 to help get set up with everything you need to succeed at home. We also have a new 'work from anywhere for a month each year' policy in place should you wish to use it.
- Office When we are in the office, a dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces (let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here).
- Social Company wide collaboration such as bi-weekly product demos, coffee with the exec sessions, culture club, social events (currently virtual).
With people from over 25 different nationalities already part of our team, at carwow we strongly believe a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company with a broader perspective. We are committed to creating a team where anybody can thrive regardless of their background. Wherever you're from, whatever you believe, all we ask is that you have drive and share our company values (you can view them here).