Salary : Circa £70,000 per annum depending on skills and experience.
Origin - shaping communities; building lives
Origin exists to make change happen for the good of communities. We help people by providing affordable homes - but that's not enough. We support vulnerable residents to lead happy and better lives. We empower our staff to take action and rise to every challenge with 'can do' positivity.
Good people are the future of our innovative, working community. We have placed a brand new and exciting 'People' strategy at the heart of our culture - to support training and personal development, to deliver our values, to move Origin forward.
We describe this new approach as NWOW: New Ways of Working. NWOW is about meeting business outcomes, you'll enjoy greater autonomy over how you deliver your role, how you manage outputs and when you spend time at work, allowing you to benefit from any productivity gains in the course of delivering your role.
This shift in culture will be built on a mature and mutual relationship of trust between managers and yourselves, ensuring we live up to one of our key values of Build Trust. By working with this new relationship model we can aim toward focusing on 'outputs' and not 'outcomes'. Space is allocated to 'activities' and not 'individuals' by providing a range of flexible working options that benefit both customers and staff. As a result your work can takes place at the most effective location and at the most effective time. Put simply, flexibiliy becomes the norm rather than the exception. This is the new Origin Housing way of working.
Our vision for this role
We're looking for a strong leader in this key leadership role to lead the financial reporting function which will provide an effective and high-quality financial reporting service to the strategic and operational leadership groups, e.g., Boards and Committees, Executives, SMT and budget holders, to enable effective decision making and financial control.
You will be responsible for delivering accurate management information reports, budgets, forecasts, and tax returns (VAT & Corporation Tax) to strict deadlines and in the prescribed formats. You will be responsible for the performance of the Business Partners team and the provision of high-quality decision support and advice to the business, working in partnership with senior management and staff across the organisation.
This is a great opportunity for applicants to ensure that the services provided represent good value for money, with 'adding value' as the guiding principle. This role calls for a high degree of initiative, judgement, accuracy, confidentiality, and discretion. You will ensure that all activities are delivered within a robust control environment and that the policies and procedures are comprehensive and regularly reviewed. This is great opportunity to work closely with the Head of Planning to ensure that the annual statutory accounts production, regulatory returns and key finance strategic projects are delivered in an efficiently and timely manner
What you'll do
This is a rewarding and exciting position - responsible for building relationships and trust both internally within your Origin team and externally with the community you serve.
Take the lead
• You will be responsible for the delivery of financial and management accounting for the group and ensure an effective reporting service including budgets, forecasts, intergroup accounting.
• You will plan and deliver Year End audit process, manages relationship with auditors, proposes response to management letter. Completes all statutory and regulatory returns for the service area.
• You will lead on Finance department strategic projects to ensure that the Group complies with its accounting and reporting obligation.
Give your time
• Contribute to effective team working and ensures appropriate cover for colleagues is arranged.
• Provide guidance and advice to the Executive on financial matters. Analyses and develops practical business solutions.
• You will undertake effective performance management as required. Ensures all staff members have SMART targets, have monthly reviews, and understand how they contribute towards the group operating plan objectives.
Bring people together
• You will liaise with external organisations as required, managing, and maintaining good working relationships whilst ensuring customers' needs are met.
• Lead, motivate and develop teams to ensure quality and quantity of work is of the agreed standard and objectives are achieved. You will also ensure monthly team meetings, individual staff targets and action plan to improve Best Companies rating are in place.
Come forward with a can-do attitude
• You will be responsible for the group management reporting and the ongoing development of its performance monitoring systems.
• Ensure integrated reporting, monitoring and control processes meet business needs, and that reporting facilitates performance management, quality assurance, identifies trends and offers business solutions
Go the extra, extra mile
• Observe relevant legislation, best practice, and equal opportunities/diversity principles in all aspects of work, especially the development of policy.
• You will ensure effective risk management for all areas of risk identified.
What you'll need
• You will possess relevant professional qualification - (e.g., ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA or ACA)
• Extensive knowledge of accounting practices and regulations applicable to a registered provider (IFRS, SORP, GAAP etc.)
• You will have managed and led successful finance teams
• You will understand charitable and non-charitable implications for group with experience of calculation and delivery of VAT and Corporation Tax returns.
• You have led annual statutory accounts process, agreeing the timetable with Audit and Risk Committee and delivering to it, responding to Internal and external audit requirements.
• You have previously delivered a financial business partnering service for a devolved organisation including budgets, forecasts, and Executive level report preparation.
• You have strong numerical awareness and verbal comprehension
• You are passionate about developing a performance culture, including setting, and monitoring clear and measurable delivery targets.
Tell us your story
We are looking forward to learning about you. Please help us get to know you by sending your latest CV and covering letter detailing how your experience meets the role above. To find out more about us simply visit www.originhousing.org.uk
Please note we will be asking for satisfactory references and DBS check. Successful applicants for interview will be contacted within seven days after the closing date.
Benefits for the right person
We reward our people for the work they do. We appreciate commitment, initiative and going the extra mile. At Origin, our comprehensive range of benefits care about the 'whole' person. As well as offering you great-to-have discounts, we look after your health and well-being too - personalising your benefits package to you. We offer:
• Access to a range of discounts on services, products and experiences. Not simply picked at random but personalised to you
• Tailor-made Healthcare plans and/or insurance plans - let us know your preference
• An Employee Assistance Programme that supports your well-being and is there to provide valuable help at all times
• A choice of rewards that you choose where to spend
• An Awards recognition scheme that champions individual achievement
See our new benefits portal where you can select the options that suit your lifestyle.
Closing date: 26 Sep 2022