At Cookpad our Search Relevance Engineers are responsible for converting user needs into solid technical implementation in our Search platform so, whatever technology you're working with you'll keep the end user in mind.
Your main technical experience will most likely be centred around ElasticSearch (or another Lucene-backed search engine) with lots of practical experience solving relevance problems (i.e. not just systems logging or observability use cases). You may well also have some exposure to using machine learning to improve relevance at scale in production environments.
You'll be a coder, too; either you'll already have a solid grasp of Python or you'll have proven commercial experience in one or more other languages paired with a demonstrable ability to learn really quickly.
Finally, while you'll be able to build solutions that will scale right across our global audience, you'll be able to use your knowledge of Arabic to help us improve relevance even faster across those countries in our Middle-East and North Africa region.
A typical day in this role might include any of the following:
- Attend a query triage meeting to review recent search issues in our Middle East / North Africa region, helping the team to group problems into families of related issues that could be solved together.
- Diagnose and resolve a specific Arabic stemming issue that has resulted in some great recipes going unseen.
- Improve our automated index validation, ensuring that catalogue ingestion changes won't unexpectedly impact relevance or query performance.
- Build a prototype search algorithm variation, perhaps using a new ML model you built jointly with our search scientists, ship it and engage it for a percentage of our audience, later reviewing the impact it has delivered.
- Explore our search logs to find slow queries, trace the root cause and make a modification to our API or ElasticSearch query to make things much faster.
- Add a new enrichment process to our data ingestion pipeline to add a new feature to our recipes indices.
- Build a rapid prototype for a new data-driven API endpoint that suggests interesting query refinements based on the user's approximate location and the time of day.
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It's a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That's how we want to impact the world.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
Take a look at our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad: https://medium.com/cookpadteam
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.