Food waste is a $1 trillion problem - costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We're dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 40 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our missionEqual parts head and heart.
We're both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.Bravely honest.
With each other, that means we're a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don't think they're achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.People of action.
Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We're breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.Bound by food.
We're a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.Hungry and humble.
Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we're hungry for change. But, we're just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.People and Planet Positive.
We're caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we're also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so. We're leaving the planet and its people better off than we found them.About The Role
Winnow is soon to release the new generation of hardware, marking a big step forward in the maturity of the products. This is the fourth iteration of the hardware design, moving from off-the-shelf components to custom and purpose-built with the intention of improving reliability, long-term design stability, and decreasing cost.
The Hardware and Inventory Manager will take responsibility for all hardware-related matters which will include end-to-end supply chain management, stock management as well as having oversight for design changes in new devices.
This is a hands-on role with line management responsibility for a hardware engineer and a materials manager.
From September 2021, Winnow is hoping to adopt a hybrid working model where employees will have 2 days working from home and 3 days will be working in the office. This subject to COVID conditions.Key ResponsibilitiesHardware management
Supply chain management
- Line manager responsibility for a Hardware Engineer, helping organise and prioritise the work done, ensuring that other functions at Winnow get the timely assistance they need to deliver for our customers.
- Plan and manage hardware releases and their distribution, setting timelines and communicating progress internally.
- Work closely with the software and operations teams to ensure we build a "complete product" aligned to the company roadmap, stakeholder feedback and customer reports.
- Assess and implement changes to the supply chain with an open-ended goal of improving production reliability, lead time and efficiency, and reducing cost.
- Improve current ways of working in the supply chain and materials processes, focusing on inventory management and traceability.
- Manage relationships with the supply chain partners, maintaining delivery schedules and quality and implementing engineering changes.
- Oversee and track shipment of products to our global customer base, acting as a point of escalation to resolve challenges as they arise.
- Assemble metrics for weekly and monthly internal KPIs e.g. reporting on costs verses budgets, shipping costs, hardware costs verses budget etc.
About YouRequirementsYour Education And Experience
- Support product and hardware teams on ad-hoc projects (for example procurement of new materials, liaising with suppliers to ensure new materials are fit for purpose etc.)
- Assemble metrics for weekly and monthly internal KPIs e.g. reporting on costs verses budgets, shipping costs, hardware costs verses budget etc
- You are likely to have a university degree, ideally in an engineering discipline
- You will have experience / an understanding of working on hardware or electronics projects, and will have globally sourced and tested hardware
- You will have managed global supply chains including management of global supply-chain change projects
- Experience in Agile projects involving a combination of hardware and software
- Experience in sourcing (or qualifying the sourcing of) materials / components
- Experience working with Project Management tools such as JIRA
- Software development and management (ideally SQL basics, Docker experience)
- Experience in networking and a keen interest in IoT deployment
- Experience working in a commercial kitchen environment will be helpful
Our shared values
- Excellent communication skills,
- Structured thinking with a drive to diagnose and solve complex problems
- Superb time-management and prioritisastion skills and the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with employees, customers, and suppliers at all levels
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term. You listen to and act on what your customers need
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done at pace and seek to continually improve. Your customers see you as someone who gets things done, and they want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to playing an active role in fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling, regardless of the task
- Competitive base salary
- Company stock options package
- Pension Scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Life insurance
- Subsidised health insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays (and an option to buy a further 5 days leave per year)
- A great working environment and a flexible approach to work with team dinners every 6 weeks
- You will love what you do - waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business