Our client, Gamelancer Inc., is the fastest growing mobile focused gaming network - generating over 1 Billion+ monthly video views across its owned and operated properties. Gamelancer's mobile first audio platform elevates the experience of online gaming. Whether you're a casual gamer, streamer or gaming fanatic the Gamelancer platform gives you a new way to make connections, find the right team.
At Gamelancer we believe that it's not what you play, it's who you're playing with. This is the principle behind instant audio connectivity so you're always a couple taps away from connecting with your friends or making new ones who share similar interests.
It's been an arms race for game developers to build games for the device that's always with you, your cell phone. As we build our social first gaming connectivity platform, the opportunity lies between some of the most popular games such as Roblox, Minecraft, Amongus, Mario Kart, Pokemon, and the wave of cloud gaming which is about to hit the industry like a tsunami in the near future. Discord is a bit clunky, as we look to simplify the overall experience and take market share.
Our Unique Network and Solutions
We own and operate 20 social channels which add up to 20M+ followers which are generating over 1 billion video views monthly. Along with our network of 500+ gaming influencers / creators, we have a fire hose of traffic. We own our distribution network, and are positioned to succeed with the right product in place.
PURPOSE: Why does this job exist?
We have been successful in directing a team of developers working remotely to build our mobile app up to where it is currently, but the working communication between that team and ourselves frequently struggles and deadlines get missed - we need someone extremely familiar with native iOS development to act as a conduit between what the task is, how long the task should take, what tasks they can or should handle themselves, what tasks require an extended team, and if the product being delivered is high quality / following all the latest best practices in regards to iOS development.
This is a new role, created to provide technical expertise and a point of contact to give guidance and direction for the development of Gamelancer's iOS mobile app. Day to day responsibilities will include developing, maintaining and supporting our existing and any new iOS applications from Gamelancer to meet expected business/technical requirements, quality standards and delivery timeframes.
Our app is built with Swift, and uses several APIs to send and receive data from both internal and external services, includes video uploading and viewing features, sockets and streams for real-time communication and synchronization, and voice communication services. We need someone who has not only experience, but a command over iOS development who can both write, review, and document code, and tell us if what's being written is done so with modern standards and frameworks in mind.
ACCOUNTABILITIES: What are the key deliverables?
• High quality, high performance, secure, object-orientated, and testable source code where technical debt is kept to a minimum
• A culture of best practice, self-review, and continuous improvement
• Reviewing other developer's code to ensure it meets the same standards as your own
ACTIVITIES: What does the jobholder have to do?
Activities include the following:
• Convert UI/UX designs and flowcharts into functional and native application code from start to finish
• Regularly estimate workloads on projects
• Mentor, coach, and train Software Engineers and QA Engineers of varying skill levels in all facets of the SDLC including Agile development methodologies, story definition, grooming, and sizing, secure software development best practices, and where appropriate delegate work to those team members to continue to expand their knowledge and experience whilst maintaining a well-balanced workload across the team
• Partner with product owners to support business and technical requirements
• Collaborate with Android team and Web team to schedule releases of similar features at the same time
• Take ultimate accountability for driving the iOS team forward with the development of high quality, high performance, secure, object-orientated, and testable source code where technical debt is kept to a minimum
• Maintain technical documentation in accordance with best practices
• Perform change management where the impact of code changes is understood and where appropriate, coach the team to actively identify and refactor existing code to improve maintainability, extensibility, and correctness
• Be a positive influence on team members and encourage a healthy and open development ethos
• Keep abreast of key industry trends, methodologies, strategies and skills
RELATIONSHIPS: Who does the jobholder have to work with?
· Daily contact with CTO
· Daily contact with iOS development team members
· Regular contact with Web team (the team that maintains the API that the iOS app primarily utilizes)
· Regular contact with product team
· Regular contact with QA
HISTORY: How has the vacancy arisen? What expectations has the previous/current jobholder(s) created? What have been the key successes and failures?
This is a new role. It represents our commitment to properly growing and supporting our development team with a dedicated leader for our iOS product offering.
CULTURE: What are the values and 'norms' surrounding the job?
· Being able to work effectively on a difficult task and maintain progress on a goal without a constant over-the-shoulder presence. If all the work to be done is understood and everyone is producing effectively with no road block, there is no need to have a 30 minute meeting about it.
· Cross functional collaboration is an essential element of this role. Several teams will frequently work together on the same project.
· Don't reinvent the wheel if it's cheaper to buy one.
· Remain aware that we have team members in different timezones.
· Ask for help if you are confused or lost on a project. You are probably not the only one.
Extensive demonstrable experience of:
• Participation in an Agile team using Scrum / Kanban methodologies
• Strong technical iOS application development skills including:
· Deep understanding of Object-Oriented design techniques and other common software design patterns
· Working with RESTful web services
· Modern iOS development (e.g. Swift, React Native)
• Native iOS apps that you have built or been a part of building from start to finish
Desired demonstrable experience of:
• Inheriting existing iOS projects, then improving and iterating on them
• 3 years experience specifically developing mobile applications for iOS
• A list of at least 4 iOS apps that you have developed or played a significant part in developing
· A passion for software development & automation and a keen interest in building upon / creating new solutions that help make a team more successful.
· A driven and self-motivated individual who can push forward and complete tasks without the need for supervision.
· Demonstrates clear leadership. Communicates effectively at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Methodical and excellent attention to detail.
· Ability to work independently as well as in teams with strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to communicate with, and support, team members with varying levels of experience.
· Thought leader and problem solver.
· Passionate and addicted to their work and strives to always be the best
Gamelancer is the fastest growing Gen Z & Millennial gaming startup in the world.
In just 18 short months since launch we have amassed 20 million followers across multiple social platforms, and are already garnering close to 1 billion video views per month across our owned and operated channels. This includes iconic usernames such as @Gaming across TikTok, Instagram, and Twitter.
Our core team consists of experienced talented executives in the technology, media, entertainment and e-commerce space.
We have the marketing experience and background to ensure that we'll be able to ramp up quickly and become a top 50 app in social networking.
Our goal is to build Gamelancer into an iconic and enduring organization that is a leader in the space and synonymous with the likes of Discord & Twitch.
We have the proper expertise, advisors and allegiances to turn this into a major success and make history.