We're The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people.
We're the UK's largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we've been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we've consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes - going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we've never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We've continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak - and we've done it by transforming the way we work.
We're fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We'll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.About The Team.
The finance function seeks to create and protect the future of the company. And it needs to be reinvented.
We aim to create a new way of doing finance - inspired by the agile digital philosophy and grounded in the approach of squads and tribes. We want the Very way of doing finance to be the new normal. We're excited by the level of change this will involve.
To achieve this aim we need to attract diverse talent into the team. People with passion, ambition, a preference for the innovative, team builders, and relationship creators. We're fans of people who love to learn (and fail).About The Role.
A pivotal role in the finance function leadership team forming part of the Finance Board and reporting to the Group Planning, Performance and Capability Director. The role is accountable for both the process and performance delivery of the Group's financial budgets, rolling forecasts and five-year plans. The role leads the delivery of the Group Performance Review, providing financial analysis of month end management accounts to facilitate operational decision making.
The role holder will be expected to build relationships across the function and wider business, landing continuous improvement in the planning & reporting processes, enhancing forecast accuracy and deepening the business' understanding of financial performance to meet the strategic goals of the Group.
You will continuously provide forward visibility, challenge and analysis of the group's financial performance, reflecting latest risks, opportunities and strategies. You will ensure senior stakeholders are engaged and that they have accurate financial information to make good strategic decisions.
You must role model high standards of integrity and desire, displaying initiative & effectiveness and have the intellectual capacity to deal with complex issues. You will have proven success in growing your team's performance and have exacting standards. This is a highly visible role requiring an inspirational leader for both the team of eight FTEs and for the wider function sponsoring team development, cross-functional working and agile methodologies.
Success in the role demands an innovative leader who within a fast-paced, ambiguous environment inspires confidence, displays influence and impact whom can build excellent working relationships, adding insight and aligning processes with a FTSE 60 business and toward delivery of the Very Group's strategy.Key Responsibilities.
- Deliver the group's financial plans, ensuring Board strategy has been interpreted within the forecast
- Facilitate the debate and challenge of financial plans at Board and shareholder level through the provision of clearly articulated analysis
- Lead the budget and forecast processes, providing challenge that prompts debate amongst the leadership team
- Ensures financial plans are delivered in a timely manner, with accuracy and ever improving ease. Provides analysis of actuals that explains variance to forecast
- Lead the improvement and simplification of planning & reporting systems to develop a single source of the truth
- Set and communicate annual calendars & event specific timetables for forecasting and reporting
- Ensure your team understand the drivers of group performance to improve forecast assumptions
- Develop team performance and self-awareness of capability and personal development
- Search for ways to continuously deliver simplification and improvement of the finance function
- Develop relationships at all levels to enable open communication across finance to drive effective team outcomes
- Qualified accountant with minimum 8 years post-qualified experience
- Experience in Oracle EPM products essential
- A self-starter with the confidence to provide opinion and with the desire & charisma to develop highly productive stakeholder relationships
- Be comfortable in tasking the business with deadline & target adherence
- Possess an abundance of drive to learn and adapt to new ways of working
- Flexibility, and desire, to manage divergence and/or ambiguity and be able to evidence comfort in working to tight deadlines under pressure
- Be able to demonstrate experience of having lead teams through change
- Able to challenge upwards and cross-functionally and welcomes being challenged
- Technically excellent with the intellectual capacity to deal with complexity and communicate complex financial matters in simple terms
- Evidence success of developing insightful reporting and analysis used for major decision making
- Demonstrable organisational skills and the experience of managing a team of qualified accountants
- First-class written and presentational skills with the ability to prepare material that succinctly communicates complex issues for exec level discussion.
- You will seek ways to contribute to wider finance team beyond role scope
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working culture
- Onsite gym
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing,footwear and home and 15% off electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.