Zenith Bank (UK) Limited (ZUK) is a subsidiary of Zenith Bank PLC, one of the top banks in Nigeria. The bank was set up with a clear strategy to leverage trade and investment flows between Nigeria and Europe, by providing intermediary banking services and facilities for trade-related working capital and capital expenditure.
Zenith Bank recognizes the importance of leveraging a highly skilled workforce to achieve its strategic and operational goals. The bank is committed to providing an environment that is conducive for effective performance by availing all staff the necessary learning opportunity. We value the well-being of our staff and we encourage them to strike a balance between their work and personal lives, thereby creating a healthy atmosphere for personal development and career success.
With the introduction of new services here in the UK and our unparalleled knowledge of business with Africa, our 5 year strategy ensures "Controlled Growth" as we aim to become the Bank of choice for businesses wishing to transact in the African continent.Role Overview:
Analysis of new and review credit proposals for corporates, banks and sovereigns as 2nd Line of Defence; prepare Independent Credit Assessment for Management Credit Committee. Support Risk Management in upgrading credit risk policies, processes and controls. Critically assess existing procedures, identify control gaps / weaknesses and suggest ahead of implementing practical solutions.Specific Responsibilities:
- Independently assess and challenge (as 2nd line of defence) credit applications for a variety of counterparties including corporates, banks and sovereigns.
- Analyse financial information such as annual reports, management accounts and cash flow statements and provide thorough assessment of credit worthiness and appropriateness of ratings.
- Perform periodic reviews of existing non-bank, bank and country credit counterparties.
- Work closely with Risk Administration team regarding loan documentation and other workflow matters.
- Assist in the management of all necessary documentation involved in the credit application and the documenting of facilities.
- Suggest and implement better credit risk assessment metrics and techniques.
- Actively contribute to the implementation of a new Internal Credit Rating system (training / workshops etc).
- Ensure Credit Policies and Procedures are kept up to date and in line with Regulatory requirements.
- Communicate the Bank's Strategy with the 1st Line of Defence and give clear credit advice aligned to the Strategy.
- Assisting with wider up-skilling of credit knowledge across both 1st Line of Defence and Credit Risk teams, by developing, preparing and conducting relevant training and workshops.
- Produce management information and reports for EXCO, Management Credit Committee, Board Risk Committee, and the Board.
- Assist the Manager in the analysis of KRI to identify areas of risk in the operating environment and work with Market and Operational Risk to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
- Assist Finance Department to obtain External Ratings for IFRS9 calculations
- Some potential client contact involving documenting meetings / negotiations.
- Supporting the Manager, Credit Risk and the Chief Risk Officer where necessary.
- Providing relief across Credit Risk during any absences.
- Keep up to date with industry best practice, key market developments (including Nigeria) and regulatory developments.
- Proactively develop 'Identification and monitoring' on all aspects of Credit Risk.
- Complying with the FCA/PRA's Individual Conduct Rules, as outlined below.
- To "live" the values of the Bank and be a valuable team member.
- Credit risk trained and have prior analytical experience ( 7 - 10 years ).
- Knowledge of legal, compliance, accounting and market-risk related issues involved in the approval of credit. Knowledge of domestic Nigerian/ Ghanaian markets and of other sub-Saharan African markets is desirable.
- Able to communicate credit assessment challenges confidently with Senior Management including at the Management Credit Committee level.
- Experience or exposure to working in a Trade Finance environment.
- Experience of implementing internal credit rating systems.
- Driven, ambitious, self-starter who can grasp a concept quickly and deliver a reasoned investigation and analysis.
- Strong understanding of the control environment and operating within it.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Good understanding of current AML/KYC requirements.
- Good IT skills - Microsoft Office package.
- ACCA/CIMA qualified, CFA finalist, Master of Credit Risk or equivalent preferred.
- IFRS9 implementation experience.