Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we're now one of the UK's fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors - financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We're a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We're an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We're different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.Job Description
The residential development book currently comprises c. £400m of development assets across c. 70 loans. The team focusses on providing experienced developers with flexible funding solutions to deliver quality residential schemes in strong locations throughout the UK. We are a growing team looking to deploy more funds and support more developers and we are looking for a dynamic and energetic individual to originate new transactions to support our growth aspirations. The successful candidate will have an understanding of development finance and whilst some experience of working in a lending role is preferable, more important will be your ability to communicate, build relationships and your drive to succeed as an individual and as part of a team. The candidate will receive excellent support from senior management, as well as the wider team.
- Build and maintain a solid and reliable network of introducers, from specialist brokers through to direct customers, to drive a continuous pipeline of new lending opportunities
- Present and pitch the Residential Development Team's products to various introducer sources regularly. Looking to raise the profile of the team and its offering in the market. Be a key part of our indirect and direct marketing initiatives.
- Gather key information from customers and brokers to form a detailed understanding of new lending opportunities, identifying the key risks of each given scenario and overlaying our lending appetite and criteria
- Analyse transactions, through the use of our Excel model, to gain a clear understanding of the viability of each scheme.
- Solutions focused. Where schemes do not fit our criteria immediately, look at ways to restructure a deal so we can lend
- Relationship manage each transaction, by liaising with the customer / broker and our underwriting teams to provide a first class service that will ensure deals are completed as quickly as possible and in a way that our customers consider exceptional
- Produce clear deal synopsis papers to present to our investment committee. These will include research and information that has been collated from internal and external sources.
- Contribute to the growth of the Residential Development Team, through increasing the size of the loan book, designing and implementing new loan products
- Highly numerate with a good working knowledge of Excel and modelling
- Experienced in managing borrowers, brokers and internal stakeholders
- A clear and confident communicator and with the ability to negotiate for success
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Ambitious and driven, focused on delivering for the team
- Identify key macro and microeconomic risks that make up a particular transaction
Additional InformationOur Values and DNAAnd While These Are The Principles That Guide Us As An Organisation, Our DNA Goes Even Further, By Revealing Our Inner Strength
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.What We Offer
Octopus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background.
We believe strongly that teams are at their best wherever member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.