Principal Software Engineer About Us
Now more than ever, people want every experience to be instant and on-demand. And when it comes to getting paid, people want their cash yesterday. But every year organizations waste time, money and energy sending more than $20 trillion in payouts to individuals using cash, checks, credit, debit, prepaid and gift cards! Held back by the legacy banking systems, crushed by the costs and complexity of credit cards there is this monster industry still lingering in the digital dark ages.
At WeGift we're changing all that. We've built our own proprietary payment rails that enables any organisation to send money to any individual, anywhere, instantly. No bank account required. No insane interchange fees. We even get up to 20% in commissions from retailers for driving sales which we pass onto our customers. It's discounted money! We're throwing away the old model, and transforming how we move and use money forever.
We want amazing people like you to join us and be part of that journey.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
You can read more about our team here: Diversity & Inclusion - https://www.notion.so/wegift/Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-517e5699e6894ac2b588c0f57bd1a4ebOur Team
We're building a Product & Engineering team where people can do their best work that sits right at the heart of the business. We want to hire talented engineers who see WeGift as an opportunity to grow and to make an impact.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting, implementing and deploying software that will have a big impact on our customers. You will also be responsible for scaling not just the products we build but the engineering team itself. You will have the opportunity to work with a modern stack and up-to-date cloud infrastructure, and to develop your experience employing high-quality product and software engineering practice.What Excites You
What Excites Us
- The opportunity to technically lead the design, delivery and deployment of large scale, complex projects from end to end.
- The opportunity for your work to have a significant positive impact on our customers and the engineering team, working on services from end to end.
- Influencing the technical direction and technology choices as well as the overall architecture, systems design and software practices.
- Being a subject matter expert and thought leader on modern technology and domain-specific problems, and leading the build of services from end to end.
Examples of new features:
- 8 years of Software Engineering experience developing large scale services from end to end using server side technologies like Python, Java, C#, Ruby, Golang, Node, or any other backend language.
- Experience technically leading systems design and architecture working on highly complex, highly scalable software solutions that are used heavily.
- A passion for driving software engineering best practice, and delivering well tested, high performant design and quality code.
- Enthusiasm to join and technically lead a team of highly talented engineers, passionate about working cross functionally and knowledge sharing.
Future projects you might be involved with include:
- WeGift Select. This allows us to give the customer choice, and therefore go beyond simply reselling gift cards and towards our strategic vision of helping value to flow more freely in the global economy. This project was technically challenging due to a requirement for it to work across a wide selection of devices.
- Self-serve brand on-boarding . WeGift is growing rapidly, which means we have to challenge ourselves to use technology to give a great experience to our brand partners without them needing a lot of support from the customer success team.
- Ongoing integration with gift card processors . Right at the heart of WeGift's operations, this technology needs to scale seamlessly and maintain high standards of reliability, maintainability and security. We're also constantly asking ourselves how we can make this process more efficient - how can we make a capital investment now to reduce operational spend in the future, and that in turn requires a creative take on the underlying technology.
- Continued development of our infrastructure . We pride ourselves on being at the cutting edge, and want to stay that way, for example, how can we make it even easier to get new functionality quickly into the hands of our customers?
- Technical resilience. As we become more integral to our customers' businesses, how can we make sure that we can continue to serve them even when there are technical or logistics issues upstream?
Take a look under the hood of life at WeGift from our employees perspective. This handbook built using Notion.so is what we use to navigate both the serene and choppy waters when needed. You might need to copy and paste the following link into your browser as job boards don't allow us to add hyperlinks - https://bit.ly/2PluGyG
- Private Medical Health Insurance with Bupa.
- Visa sponsorship and relocation package opportunities.
- A minimum of 25 days holiday + bank holidays (we're not too descriptive about holidays so if you need more time off then just ask).
- Participation in the Employee Options pool giving you ownership in WeGift and participation in the upside.
- Pension scheme (3% contribution)
- Hybrid of office and remote work with a brand new WeWork office based in King's Cross, London.
- Generous maternity and paternity packages to make sure you get to spend time with your new bundle of joy.
- £1,000 annual L&D allowance to invest in mastering your craft, including accredited studies.
- Cycle to work scheme - save some £££ on buying a bike.
- Regular virtual team socials.
- Workplace Nursery benefit, where WeGift makes a contribution to your child's nursery for equipment, training, redecoration or anything else
- WeRecognise, where we shine the spotlight on exceptional employees every quarter who in turn get a £200 award in the eGift card of their choice.
- Staff perks with WeGift brands - discounts of up to 12% on coffee, weekly groceries, holidays, the list is endless.