TrueLayer's Pay By Bank teams are building a next-generation payment solution across Europe and the rest of the world, with the goal of providing a better experience than cards. Leveraging a new wave of regulation built on openness and innovation, they build the bank integrations, infrastructure and frontend for TrueLayer's Payment APIs. Pay By Bank already has significant traction in the UK, and is currently expanding across Europe, including in Spain and Germany.
As a Senior Backend Engineer in Pay By Bank, your role will involve designing and delivering our API products and their associated services, as well as being a subject matter expert, collaborator and mentor in an international team of passionate engineers.
We use a mix of C#/.NET Core and Rust to write our backend services, Docker containers orchestrated with Kubernetes, AWS cloud infrastructure, ElasticSearch, Prometheus and OpenTelemetry for observability, RabbitMQ, Redis, PostgreSQL and more - the best tool for the job wins.Who We Are
At TrueLayer, we build intelligent financial infrastructure that puts fintech at people's fingertips.
Businesses use our global network, built on open banking and PSD2, to securely access financial data and enable instant payments. Headquartered in London with offices in Milan, Dublin, Sydney, and Hong Kong, we've raised $142M to date and we're trusted by some of the biggest names in tech, including Revolut, Trading 212, and Zopa,
We are systems builders, design thinkers, product crafters and committed doers. We work in a collaborative, transparent environment where people can be their true selves, embrace ownership and accountability, and build something that will define an industry.
Our vision is to create a financial ecosystem that is open to everyone. We've grown from a UK leader in 2020 to a global provider in 2021, operating in 12+ countries. The thing is, we're just getting started...As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will
Voluntary On-Call Duty
- Help design, build and maintain TrueLayer's API products, delivering features that impact thousands of users
- Be involved in writing services and tooling used by other product engineering teams at TrueLayer
- Own new product features, from breaking down requirements to planning tasks for you and your team, and shipping to production rapidly and regularly
- Identify and make performance improvements in a complex, distributed environment
- Help make our platform globally scalable, reliable and available
- Conduct code reviews and share knowledge with other engineers to maximise everyone's potential and growth
- Help shape the future of engineering at TrueLayer
- Contribute to our culture and help make sure TrueLayer remains an exceptional place to work
While being on call is a fantastic learning experience, we understand being on call out of hours is not for everyone, so at TrueLayer it's voluntary. If interested, you can train with, and join, our on-call rota, which will involve compensated rotations of
RequirementsYou'll need to demonstrate
- Being On-Call to respond to critical incidents affecting the availability of our platform
- Identifying, mitigating and resolving root causes of such incidents
- Coordinating our response to potentially major incidents, and being an active voice in postmortem/root cause analysis discussions to prevent future problems
We'd be particularly excited if you have
- Experience with C# (especially .NET Core)
- Understanding of SOLID and other common design patterns
- Familiarity of API design and experience with at least one web framework
- Understanding of Object-relational mapping technologies
- Appreciation of challenges surrounding microservices architecture
- Familiarity with testing best practices - TDD, Unit Testing and Integration Testing, etc.
- Experience with observability and alerting of mission-critical distributed systems
BenefitsWhat you can expect from us
- A solid grasp of SQL and efficient use of caching
- Understanding of Protocol Buffers, gRPC, and message queue systems
- Experience working on high volume payments products
Inclusion & Diversity
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in the company
- Flexible hours ⌛ and remote work
- Choice of Linux or Mac technology
- A remote-working stipend to help set up your home office
- Flexible holiday policy ✈️
- Generous parental leave
- Enhanced pension contribution at 4% & 4%
- Private Health Insurance ⚕️
- 12 fully-paid Wellbeing Days a year (on top of the holiday allowance) ️
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill ♀️
- Learning & development allowance
At TrueLayer, we don't just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you - like your age, ability, background and identity - are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do (And know what an API is).