We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.Job Description
As a team, we transform our client's businesses using a combination of strategic thinking, customer-centric service design, and agile engineering practices. We do this at internet scale - driving innovation, and enriching people's lives. Our skills and talent enable PA's purpose of creating a positive human future in a technology driven world.
As part of our Digital team, you'll work alongside colleagues from across PA - delivering transformative digital solutions to today's most complex business challenges. Our teams are trusted to deliver and given the space to be awesome. We're an inclusive community for the curious, generous, pragmatic and committed digital practitioner.
As a Java Engineer (Consulting Analyst), you'll be working as part of a larger team. Collectively the team are responsible for delivering functioning solutions to our clients.
- You'll have the support of experienced professionals within the team, who can give you guidance and help you make decisions.
- You will have responsibility for owning and delivering on specific tasks, being the design authority and accountable for creating solutions.
- You'll be a trusted member of the team, and you'll be empowered to move things forward on your own steam.
- You may also be expected coach more junior analysts in the team, working with them to build their expertise.
- It's important you feel comfortable having team discussions with the client on the project and contributing your thoughts and ideas into the team.
Our clients have a vast array of technologies, but we aren't expecting you to have exposure to the whole toolkit! You could be developing new back-end business logic in one sprint, and then looking at implementing a new MVC approach in the next.
You probably have a core skillset in Java , but it's your understanding of data structures, algorithms, libraries and development methods that are most important. Working in an agile development team is highly sought after, where you're applying development practices such as;
PA's Core Technology Stacks
- Agile sprints to deliver incremental code.
- TDD and/or BDD approaches, considering outcome at design. Knowledge of test automation.
- Secure development and architectural practices, as well as knowledge of non-functional considerations.
- JIRA for tracking progress and traceability.
- Working alongside others in the team to develop design, elaborate user stories and deliver estimates during story pointing.
- Reviewing code with your teammates to provide assurance on a release.
- Developing code using CI/CD tools.
- Working against a branching strategy, contributing code regularly to repo E.g. git, svn or cvs.
- Resolving root cause analysis and troubleshooting solutions.
- Using your working knowledge of OOP.
- Implementing design and concurrency patterns.
- Writing clean, readable, maintainable and reusable code.
- Appreciating scalability, high availability and disaster recovery requirements.
- Using fundamental tools and languages E.g. SQL, Unix, CLI tools, PowerShell, Shell Scripting, HTML and CSS.
- Web application frameworks E.g. ASP.NET, PHP, PERL, Ruby, Python, Play, Spark.
- External and embedded databases, relational and NoSQL, E.g. MongoDB, MySQL, Flink, Cassandra, SQL Server, Postgres. Developing schema for supporting business logic and data.
- Developing solutions in the cloud, using either Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Microservices architecture, including containers and serverless implementation. E.g. Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift, AWS Lambda, Cloud Functions (GCP).
- Java 8+
- MVC, JDBC and RESTful
- Knowledge of JVM, its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
- Building tools such as Ant, Maven and Gradle
- Using a range of technologies and libraries in the Java ecosystem.
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of 'Bringing Ingenuity to Life', supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status. We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.