UKFast is looking for an Enterprise Windows Technical Lead to drive us forward on our Public Cloud journey.
Reporting to our Enterprise Windows Team Leader, you will be the primary point of escalation for all-things-Windows at UKFast. This team is vital in our journey towards advancing our customer offering in Azure technologies and our in-house service/product portfolio. You will therefore be instrumental in experimenting and adopting new technologies, tools, and processes to contribute to our public cloud support growth.
This role is ideal for someone who is confident working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and is used to dealing with large-scale customer environments. A person who has an innate motivation to stay up to date with the latest technologies, whilst sharing that knowledge with their peers and mentees too! Someone who is also comfortable communicating technical expertise to those who don't specialise in tech.
Future progression opportunities are also abundant, whether that be to move into a more project-based cloud and DevOps engineering role or to dip your toes in people management. Either way, this role will be a highly rewarding opportunity for the successful candidate. What you will do
What you will bring
- Act as an escalation point for UKFast staff and clients, the role is to be one of our most senior Windows engineers.
- Undertake and review actions to investigate and resolve problems in systems, processes, and services. Assesses problem fixes/remedies. Assists with the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures.
- For incidents or requirements of root cause analysis, you will process and coordination appropriate and itmely responses to incident reports, including channelling requests for help to appropriate functions, monitoring resolution activity, and keeping clients apprised if progress towards service restoration
- Provide technical architecture reviews and recommendations through consultation with UKFast clients, Account Managers and internal Solution Architects.
- To be outwardly engaged with the business (and third-party providers where appropriate) regarding escalations, reviews, updates, and strategy news.
- Engage closely with the support teams, customers, vendors, and cross-functional teams working on projects and support - ultimately creating and building good relationships.
- Ensure there is seamless availability of support for clients and internal teams via all methods of contact (phones, email, client support web portal) during core working hours.
- Peer review change management requests for approval promptly.
- Prepare the Enterprise Windows Team for new products/services and the adoption of emerging technologies.
- Attend internal CAB (Change Advisory Board) meetings to provide insight and contribution to the wider tech teams.
- Provide monthly technical ticket reviews of the Enterprise Windows Team to ensure they are technically sound and identify any areas for improvement.
- Ensure skills matrices are collected bi-annually to ensure training is targeted appropriately.
- Plan, design, manage, execute, and report on the testing of new products/services, using appropriate tools and techniques whilst conforming to agreed process standards. Also, ensure security requirements are considered.
- Contribute to improved processes, procedures, and documentation.
- A proven track record of building, installing, configuring, and supporting Windows Server products regarding the specifics listed below:
- Active Directory
- Familiarity with virtualisation platforms, esp. Hyper-V and vSphere products
- Powershell (or relevant scripting technologies)
- IIS, inc. as part of a mixed Windows/Linux web stack
- Exchange and Exchange Online / Office 365
- Microsoft SQL Server
- SAN storage and architecture experience - EMC/EqualLogic/Netapp/3PAR/HP and/or Dell server hardware
- Significant experience of Windows systems in complex multi-server solutions environment.
- VMWare (vCentre, networking, DRS, performance analysis), iSCSI, SAN, Compliance, and Gitlab knowledge is desirable.
- Fundamental and thorough knowledge of TCP/IP and networking protocols.
- Experience in integration between applications.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and debugging skills.
- Certification to MCSE or equivalent is desirable.
- Motivation to provide impeccable customer service whilst working in an ethical, collaborative, and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt quickly to change.
- A positive, passionate, and can-do attitude with a strong interest to learn and develop yourself professionally.
- A good understanding of security and backup solutions.
- Experience supporting public cloud-based solutions is desirable.
- A history with configuration management and/or infrastructure as code is desirable.
- Birthdays off as an extra paid holiday
- Private health insurance after one years' service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service.
- Work from home
- Award-winning training and education centre with four full-time teachers to help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn.
- Pearson Vue test centre on-site
- On-site gym
- Games zone with arcade games and retro consoles.
- Free onsite parking
- Table tennis and pool tables
- Team building experiences
- Weekly virtual quiz nights and team parties
- Volunteer days to help support our community and charity partners
- Active and engaged diversity groups with events and educational sessions arranged regularly