Competitive salary + stock optionsIntro
We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead the people and processes of the engineering team at zeroheight, a rapidly growing DesignOps startup.About Zeroheight
We're building the world's first DesignOps company. DesignOps tools enable companies to design and develop user experiences in a much more systematic way and deliver high quality UX 10x faster - our mission is to enable this on a global scale!
We've built a design system documentation product people love and thanks to this we've grown through word-of-mouth to 1300+ customers including multiple Fortune 100s. We're the market leader in our category, grew 3.5x in 2020 and have the backing of world-class investors like Tribe Capital, Y Combinator and Adobe. But design system documentation is just the beginning... we're now perfectly positioned to become the leader in DesignOps and transform how products are built. That's why we've expanded to the Bay Area in 2021 to fulfil our ambition of being a truly global company
You can learn more on our About us pageYour impact
You'll join as the head of our engineering team, taking on management responsibility. You'll report to the CTO (Robin) and work closely with product and the CEO (Jerome) to coordinate growth of the team - we're planning to roughly triple in 2021 and the same in 2022. The team is currently 5 engineers.
Through this growth, you'll ensure the team stays happy and effective. This will include focusing on the team's organisational structure, as well as their processes. You'll also work alongside the rest of the company to ensure that the team's goals are achievable and well-aligned with the roadmap. This will require you to have a broad overview of ongoing work and the ability to prioritise the team's effort.
You'll play a major role in recruiting and hiring, working alongside our Head of Talent. You'll help create the hiring plan and ensure it maps well onto the development roadmap. As we hire lots more engineers, you'll work out how to scale the hiring process and train team members to take part.
You'll help to nurture and grow our new and existing talent. This will likely involve building a career ladder to provide education on growth opportunities and motivate people to level up their skills. You'll also mentor and coach engineering managers.
To summarise, here are the main areas you'll have an impact
- keeping the team effective as we grow
- recruiting and hiring
- partnering with PM and design to keep delivering an awesome product
- nurturing talent and providing growth opportunities
Note this isn't a hands-on coding / technical role - we'd like you to solely focus on the team's growth, effectiveness and happiness.What's unique and exciting about this? ⚡️
In 6 months
- We're a small team at an inflection point of growth. This is a great opportunity to experience rapid scaling and solve the challenges that come along with it. If you're interested in doing your own thing at some point, this would also be a great choice.
- Our company is very design and product-focused. This has created a strong product culture in our engineering team, making it an awesome environment if you enjoy having a close connection with the user and delivering direct value to them.
- The role comes with equity to provide you some investment in our mission and growth alongside the company. With backing from investors like Y Combinator and Adobe, we've got everything we need to become a leader in the emerging DesignOps space.
- We're committed to supporting mental wellness as we grow. We provide a free mental health support program, a monthly wellness budget and - perhaps most importantly - we're trying to break down the stigma around mental health by simply talking about it more!
Here's what we'd like to see after 6 months. This should give you a good idea of what success looks like in this role.
- You're comfortable with all current team members you have regular check-ins and you're providing help and support
- You've worked with the CTO to plan the hiring / organisation growth roadmap
- You've helped to hire 6-10 engineers
- You've set up clear guidance on progression
- You're working well with product and we're delivering value to users quickly and safely
- 3+ years experience managing an engineering team
- Previous experience working within a startup or scale-up
- Experience setting up progression frameworks
- You're able to come to our London office at least once a week (once COVID is gone!) The rest of the time is flexible WFH / office
- Hello (45m, video call)
- Management discussion (45m, video call)
- Meet the team (1h, video call)
- Technology design session ✏️ (1h, video call)
- Founder interview (1h, video call)
- We make a decision quickly and let you know