** This position is available as a fully remote role, from anywhere in the UK **
We're looking for a Lead Backend Engineer
, experienced in building data acquisition pipelines using browser automation and API integrations. You'll be working in a small, agile team focused on architecting and building our platform for both scale and experimentation. About WonderBill
WonderBill is changing how people manage their home life, do their budgeting, and manage their bills by putting it all in one place.
We link directly to over a hundred household utilities and service providers.
Once you link we'll let you know what bills are due and when, so that you don't have any surprises. We'll also store all your documents in one place, like your statements and insurance details. We'll even tell you when your contracts are coming up for renewal and show you better deals to help you save.
We have big plans for 2021 and need talented engineers to help us deliver on our ambitious roadmap and take the lead in a market that has yet to be addressed. We have offices in London and Manchester but we're just as happy with remote working. We're 40+ strong today and have plans to grow our product, design, data and engineering team.
We're a customer-focused bunch with tonnes of ideas to help you manage your day to day home life. We're looking for big thinkers and big doers to help build our new products.
If you're looking for ways to get creative in your next challenge then look no further, we're built on our great ideas, teams and customers. Tech at WonderBill
We believe in picking the right tools for the job so our stack includes (but is not limited to): React & React Native, Node, Ruby, Go, Docker & Kubernetes, Postgres, Terraform & AWS.
We also believe that automated-testing, pair-programming and peer-reviewed code are the bare minimum required to deliver good software and are always looking for ways to improve how we build software.About You
You like building things (and fixing things that aren't quite right).
You know how to code, but that doesn't mean that's all you know - you're product-passionate and used to working in a product-driven environment.
You're Brave. You thrive in an environment that encourages taking calculated risks, owning the times you've lost and celebrating the times you've won.
You're willing to learn. We don't just hire people who 'know it all already' we hire team players who will admit they don't know and commit to learning. Simple as that. Essential experience
• 4+ years experience writing software in a team, whilst:
- Delivering large well-defined tasks and solving small scope not-well-defined problems
- Leading large scale technical infrastructure projects
- Breaking down large problems into smaller deliverables
- Contributing to scaling engineering hiring
- Building software as part of a highly functional product team
- Owning technical decisions with high risk and low reversibility
- Building highly-functioning engineering teams
- Acting as a technical Product owner on technology-focussed projects
• Experience architecting resilient data ingestion or automation platforms (e.g. scraping and/or API integrations)
• Deep understanding and hands on experience with browser automation tools such as Puppeteer, Cypress or Selenium in a commercial setting
- You must demonstrate 2+ years of commercial experience with Node
- Some experience with other languages such as Go or Ruby is a must
• Familiar with complex asynchronous messaging flows and application of such flows within distributed systems:
- Experience building event-driven architectures
- Practical knowledge of tracing and monitoring tools
• Experience producing technical designs with consideration for scalability and security
• Understanding and practical application of design patterns and SOLID principles
• Experience working with multiple general purpose databases and performance optimisation
• Practical experience writing high quality tests (unit/integration/e2e)
• Experience building CI/CD pipelines:
- You currently work in an environment where engineers are responsible for deploying their code to production
- You practice "infrastructure as code" and deploy your code in containerised environments using Kubernetes
• Experience of coordinating complex deployments and database migrations
• Understanding of Agile methodologies and experience working closely with product teams
• Experience of working in an objective-driven environment Nice to have
• Demonstrable Computer Science background - ideally BSc / Msc in Computer Science and strong quantitative skills, but we may consider candidates who can demonstrate continuous learning
• Experience with Frontend and Mobile technologies such as React and React Native, Redux and GraphQL
• Experience building a SaaS product within a startup environmentWhat we offer
- 38 days holiday (including Bank Holidays) and the ability to buy (or sell) up to 5 days per year
- Flexible working to support you, your life, and those around you, up to and including fully remote within the UK
- Personalised training budgets for each team member
- Career progression opportunities with a dynamic and ever-growing team
- Enhanced parental and sick leave
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn learning to level up your skills
- Access to Perkbox and a bunch to other great benefits with the Platinum membership, no less!
- Monthly celebrations - once a month we drop everything to celebrate our amazing teams
- More Swag than you can shake a stick at!