Senior Software Engineer - IoT & Web (Remote)
AirEx is looking for a hands-on Software Engineer with experience in developing frontend/backend and basic firmware systems in the IoT space. DESCRIPTION
AirEx is a rapidly growing energy efficiency start-up, designing and manufacturing the UK's first smart air brick technology, helping householders reduce their energy bills without compromising air quality. We are looking to hire an exceptional Lead Software Engineer to contribute to the company's business mission by leading and executing Airex's software development activities.
Climate change is the biggest challenge of our lifetime and this is an exciting opportunity to have an impact on this problem in one of the fastest growing areas of cleantech. AirEx's mission is to lift millions of households out of fuel poverty and reduce the UK's carbon emission with an affordable solution for the mass market. With our recent Ofgem approval under the ECO (Energy Company Obligation) scheme, AirEx is now entering an exciting new phase with ever increasing demand from social landlords, energy companies and retrofit installers. Your role will therefore be absolutely crucial in contributing to the company's growth through product development. ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborating with the CTO to prioritise and manage a software development roadmap
- Building a robust software development process to improve the quality of the codebase, system scalability, and flexibility
- Backend development for site management functionality, AWS, MQTT, and Django
- You will be the sole developer for maintaining our existing codebase, and responsible for identifying and implementing improvements. However, we expect to hire more software resources in about a year.
- Handling and prioritising incoming requests from operations for new features or debugging of existing issues. Also, act as last resort technical support for issues when they escalate beyond operations
- Testing and debugging the software systems from end to end. This includes being able to identify and resolve firmware issues
- Working with the team to ensure various design decisions around firmware, hardware, system architecture, and customer requests are implemented smoothly from the software perspective
- A minimum of 5 years in software engineering with some leadership experience
- Must have significant experience with Django/Python, AWS, and front-end development
- Experience with creating and developing on docker images
- End to end experience in implementing MQTT on an embedded system through to displaying device data on a web interface
- Basic understanding of IoT hardware, and networks such as LoRaWAN, 4G, and Wi-Fi
- Working knowledge of Linux, OAuth, and Vue.js
- Familiarity with C language and Arduino.
- Embedded development experience is advantageous, especially with regards to the ESP32 microcontroller.
- Well versed in best practices for coding and software systems design
- Has written functional requirements or specifications and linked them into a platform such as Asana to communicate with the team and manage the software development
The ideal Candidate will be passionate about the cleantech and IoT, eager to work in a start-up and happy to roll up their sleeves and take on anything that comes their way.
- You are ambitious, resilient, and results-driven, with a "Getting-Things-Done" mindset
- You are a motivated self-starter, proactive and hands-on, keen to work to fix issues quickly
- You are articulate both verbally and in writing
- You are keen to grow and develop with the company and can take on greater responsibility as the business grows
- You are naturally collaborative in your approach and able to inspire others
- You have a passion for start-ups and are interested in cleantech / IoT
- You feel you can successfully navigate the evolutionary pressures of a start-up
- You are in tune with emerging or incumbent development frameworks and willing push for something new to meet our business goals
AirEx is a spin-out company from Sustainable Ventures; an incubator/VC that works with investors, entrepreneurial managers, corporate partners and public sector bodies to originate, build, grow, and exit sustainable businesses. SV's portfolio companies benefit from the on-going support of the Sustainable Ventures management team who have already established 14 low carbon ventures, attracting over £250m in equity commitments. Furthermore, AirEx is located at Europe's largest sustainable start-up hub, Sustainable Workspaces; a shared office space with over 600 members across 50+ cleantech start-ups. BENEFITS
- £50k - £65k base salary plus stock options (depending on experience)
- Becoming part of a rapidly growing start-up operating in an exciting sector
- The opportunity to work on a product that will improve the lives of millions of people
- Managing your own work and enjoying plenty of freedom as part of a small, tight-knit team
- Flexible working: combination of home-based/office-based work (London HQ)
- An exciting, problem-solving, and dynamic atmosphere, a flexible and fun work environment filled with passionate and extremely capable people
At AirEx we embrace diversity. To excel in our interdisciplinary work we need a team that can view problems from many perspectives. We are committed to hiring the best talents regardless of age, disability, gender, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, or social background.
Please get in touch with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org