Finance Director | Fast Growth Tech Start-Up | London | Series A The Client
Harmonic are proud to have been retained by one of the world's most exciting and innovative Technology start-ups disrupting the creative and EdTech sectors.
The company is on a mission to "make knowledge entertainment" and has been named as one of the CreativeTech industries 'Ones To Watch' and most innovative UK businesses. It was also one of just six businesses to present to the Prime Minister in last year's London Tech Week.
The company is positioning itself to play a major role in the 'Metaverse' as the worlds of film, video games and live experiences blur and to respond to developments in the immersive content market being driven by hardware and software developments at the likes of Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Epic Games and Unity.
The business is led by a hugely impressive leadership team which is headed up by the Founder & CEO with a successful background as a Senior Executive at Sky.
The wider business is led by well-respected industry leaders across the Tech team (the CTO worked in a key R&D role at Sky) and BAFTA award winning Creative teams with experience working on The Hobbit, The Planet of the Apes and the Avengers. It is set for a period of rapid growth as they close a Series A round of circa £7.5m.
Alongside the leadership team they have a selection of Advisory Board members and Investors who have worked in executive roles at large organisations including Sky, Apple, Amazon, Deliveroo and EE, plus some of the early backers of the successful leisure business Swingers.
They have already partnered with one of the world's most loved TV stars in the Documentaries space and are producing content powered by 5G and various immersive ' XR' technologies including, Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). Other partners include major blue chips such as Sky, BBC, Google and Apple. Already funded by one the UK's largest innovation grants these relationships and a selection of recent industry awards are an excellent foundation to build on as they begin to roll out their EdTech and Subscription model later this year.
Forecasting turnover of approaching £5m in 2021 they expect a period of investment in new products in 2022 and then significant double digit compound growth over the following three years.
Culturally the business is centered around an entrepreneurial spirit and real hunger to have an impact. They are motivated by not only building a successful business but also by having fun while using technology to create new types of previously impossible consumer experiences. They are brought together by a desire to create beautiful, immersive content making it a very fast paced and creative place to be! The Role:
This is an opportunity to join the business as the first Finance Director working closely with the CEO. The core focus of the role is to shape the strategic direction of the business, refine the business model, lead them through their Series A fundraise and to ensure the implementation of robust, scalable financial reporting and controls processes which will facilitate growth.
The Finance Director will also be central to the development of commercial financial analysis and KPI metrics across the business working closely with the wider leadership team to produce more insightful MI and drive improved decision support. Responsibilities:
What we need to see (Essential):
- Drive commercial performance across the business working extensively with Non-Finance stakeholders
- Provide strategic direction to the CEO and Leadership teams to deliver growth
- Work closely with the CEO to develop and launch a subscription model element to the business
- Implement new processes around KPI analytics, forecasting and planning (FP&A) and own the financial model
- Establish subscription model and recurring revenue metrics
- Prepare and lead the business through Series A fundraise with Venture Capital investors
- Own the production and presentation of Board Packs and Investor reporting
- Own the monthly close and production of management accounts (with the support of a Management Accountant/ Bookkeeper)
- Oversee the production of year end statutory reporting
- Implement and ensure robust controls and processes to provide a platform for growth (look to continuously improve with new systems and software)
- Ensure the companies legal obligations are met and risk is mitigated by building relationships with lawyers, auditors and tax specialists
- Wider Operational responsibilities working with the CEO to define and create appropriate team structures (owning HR in the mid term)
What we'd like to see (Non-Essential):
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Prior experience in a Venture Capital backed Tech Start-Up
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with senior executives
- Highly commercially astute
- Ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment
- Entrepreneurial and passionate about the start-up and scale-up space
- Demonstrable experience building a high caliber Finance function
- Experience running a Finance function in a £5-10m Turnover business
- Experience supporting venture capital fundraising (ideally £5m+ investments)
- Prior experience working directly with a CEO/ Founder
- £100,000 - £110,000 + significant share options
Please get in touch at email@example.com
Please feel free to circulate this with any friends or contacts that may be interested.Follow us on Twitter: @HarmonicGroupHQ