Systems Engineer (Automation)
Vibrant, Pioneering and ready to transform the railway industry.
Sensonic is a trailblazer, leveraging data to enable more efficient railway operations using Fiber Optic Sensing. Founded in Austria and the UK by experienced technology players, the company is on a high growth journey to support the global railway industry as the leading information provider. Our team of software and artificial intelligence experts aim to convert data into actionable and predictive information for railways to contribute to a sustainable future.
If you are looking for a company where self-organisation, agility and flexibility are lived, combined with outstanding company culture and passion for development that drives the team, then Sensonic is the place for you!
Based in Farnborough, the Systems Engineer will work as a member of the Engineering team working with Distributed Acoustic Technology, automating some of the engineering processes.
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years of experience in the same or similar role and will have practical working knowledge and experience of CI/CD. Your Main responsibilities:
Skills & Experience:
- Work as a member of the Engineering team, working with DAS (Distributed Acoustic Sensing) technology.
- Develop and operate an environment for scalable, distributed software systems for acquisition, processing, classification and storage of sensor data.
- Carry out automation of some of the engineering processes.
- Conduct algorithm testing, configuration and development.
- Work in close cooperation with R&D, IT and the Operations team.
- Carry out all elements of the Systems Engineering e.g. requirements management, interface management, system architectures, integration of specialities, Verification and Validation, technical risk management, change management.
- Lead deployment teams on global installations.
What we offer:
- Degree in Electrical/Software engineering or science.
- 2+ years experience in the configuration and administration of Linux server systems and networks.
- 2+ years of systems automation experience.
- Knowledge and practical experience in the areas of CI/CD and Docker. And advanced knowledge of configuration management systems, such as: Chef or Checkmk or related systems.
- Competence with orchestration tools such as ansible or puppet, and the development of systems automation in a scripting language: Python.
- Knowledge of cloud technologies - AWS or Azure.
- Strong communication skills both oral and written (technical report writing).
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- DAS technology and basic fibre optic OTDR trace analysis experience would be beneficial.
- Salary Range: £35-£43.5k dependant on experience.
- Employers pension contribution of 8%.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays.
- Sage Benefits - offering a variety of discounts for shops, holidays and restaurants.
- Employee Assistance programme - including access to an online GP.
- BUPA personal healthcare.
- LinkedIn Learning subscription.
- Company iPhone 12.
- Opportunity to work as part of a social and innovative company.
- Regular social events (even in lockdown - digitally) such as Christmas and summer parties and days out organised by our social committee.
- Agile and open corporate culture.
- Flexible working (with the option of working from home two days per week after covid).
- Time for training and personal development each week.
- Working with and in an international team.
Please note: This is a UK based role, starting employment will be subject to sufficient right to work checks being satisfied.