Here at Gousto, we are on a mission to become the UK's favourite way to eat dinner!
Delicious recipes, precise ingredients & a dollop of adventure, delivered to your door. We have invested into our technology, data capability and our product to ensure the customer is at the heart of what we do. Every aspect of our business is powered by our passion.
Whether it is innovation through our recipe development, building algorithms to optimise our recipe box journey or devising strategies to reduce plastic and food waste. All our teams play a part in our amazing growth in the UK!
Our DREAM? To be the most-loved way to eat dinner, and for every meal to leave the planet better off. Gousto is changing how people shop, cook and eat food at home. It's an incredibly exciting time to join our team!
Principal Data Scientist
We have a new opportunity within our Data Science team for a Principal Data Scientist! Our Principal Data Scientist will be a technical lead on Data Science products & projects within our successful Menu Tribe!
Our technology & operations are growing faster and more complex than ever before - we will soon have four factories to fulfill our customer orders. With this additional operational complexity comes increased opportunity to offer more and more recipes.
We are seeking a Principal Data Scientist to help us exploit this opportunity by providing first-class technical expertise to develop cutting-edge personalisation and recommendation algorithms to help our customers overcome the paradox of choice.
The quality and variety of our recipes are key to driving customer satisfaction. Alongside this, a seamless customer experience, whether on our app or website, is critical in ensuring our customers can find whatever recipes they want, whenever they want them. We want to give our customers the perfect balance between choice and user experience, and this is exactly where a Principal Data Scientist will help us.
As the Principal Data Scientist in Menu, you will have a wealth of experience in developing personalisation algorithms and recommender systems. You'll enjoy raising the technical bar of the rest of the team. You'll be extremely creative in translating menu problems into robust and scalable data science products, and will enjoy designing algorithms from first principles as much as you enjoy developing code and delivering products.
To be successful and, more importantly, enjoy the role, you will be a natural problem solver as well as passionate about unlocking solutions for our customers through data.Requirements
Who You Are
- Adventurer in data science - As a leading member of the data science team, you will be using advanced machine learning and optimisation techniques to build tools that will improve our menu. We look to our senior team members to unlock new step changes in performance for our existing data products, introduce new theories and technologies to the team and leverage data science in new areas.
- End-to-end owner of menu data products - The problems we pursue are diverse and have a direct impact on the business. They range from developing algorithms to determine what new recipes we should create to what variety means to customers at an individual level. We believe that if you build something, you should run it too. This means that our data scientists take ownership over the entire process from ideation to deployment, as well as automation and maintenance. Knowing our data products inside-out allows us to keep learning and improving.
- Passionate about impact - We have big plans for the future, hence we are looking for creative thinkers to help drive the business and disrupt the online grocery market by leveraging machine learning and optimisation. You will work with amazing colleagues and look forward to solving challenging problems that will have a significant impact on the product and our customers. You'll recognise when to meet complex problems with advanced solutions or when a simple approach cuts through all complexity. Most of all, you are excited about Gousto's mission and product and really enjoy working with the team.
- Relentlessly raising the bar - We believe that one of the most important things our Principal Data Scientist will do is educate the more junior members of the team. We're looking for someone who can bring new and innovative practices into the team, someone who is willing to help educate and help to improve what we do on a daily basis. As a senior member of the team, you're always on the lookout for opportunities to help the team fulfil their potential.
- MSc or PhD in STEM subjects would be great! But there are lots of ways to land in Data Science! Maths, Stats, Computer Science or BSc paired with strong industry experience
- Strong proven understanding of machine learning techniques and optimisation algorithms
- Experience with managing productionisation of data products
- Experience measuring and managing data product performance
- Great communication skills - being able to explain your work and the impact on the business to all types of business partners
- Comfortable using SQL
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
- Experienced in developing personalisation algorithms and recommender systems using a variety of techniques and data sources
Bonus Points For
- Experience in deploying machine learning algorithms into production environments (AWS)
- Experience in deploying personalisation algorithms at scale
What's it like working at Gousto?
All of us are responsible for the success of Gousto. Our guiding values - dream, deliver and care - show our commitment to innovation, our ambition to hit goals at speed, and our deep respect for the people we work with.
Be confident in your curiosity: think big, aim high and respectfully stand up for what you believe in.
We look for effective answers that will have a real impact, take initiative to solve problems and have a healthy impatience for change.
We care about our colleagues, customers and suppliers - they are key to our success - and about where our food comes from, the quality of our ingredients and our impact on the environment.
Whether it is creating diversity in our recipes or building new teams, we care about our people and the opportunities they have at Gousto.
We are committed to equality of opportunity across our organisation. At all levels we promote equality, ensuring our people are consistently treated in a fair and equal manner.
Click here to see our benefits!