Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.Job Description
Wood Mackenzie is looking for Software Engineers (at all levels) with excellent problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills to join our industry-leading data analytics company. We are headquartered in Edinburgh where our team is working on Lens, a next generation, data analysis & visualization platform utilized by our customers to drive billion-dollar decisions.
As a Software Engineer, you will support your team in breaking down problems, proposing technical approaches, and mentoring others in developing and deploying solutions in a way that continuously delivers value to our customers. You may have expertise in a particular area, and will work with other teams to share knowledge and define best practice. Your team will own its own software and be responsible for ensuring high-quality. You will work in an agile way, collaborating via open and honest conversations about the value and quality of your team's work, and focusing on continuous improvement.The Ideal Candidate
- Has experience across the stack building web-based applications in a cloud environment
- Is product-minded and can work effectively with product and design disciplines, balancing trade-offs between quality and delivery
- Recognises that people build software, and working with others is key to success
- Can break-down problems into small iterations, and guide others in their implementation
- Is eager to share knowledge and can demonstrate success in mentoring others
- Is a keen learner and explores both new and old technologies
- Can represent their team during cross-team collaboration
Xpected Technology ExperienceQualifications
- Actively participates in continuous improvement of their team's processes
- More than one programming language
- Front-end web development
- At least one modern front-end framework
- Using a cloud platform
- Designing and building APIs
- At least one relational or NoSQL database
- Building CI/CD pipelines
- Automated testing
Our Lens platform tech stack
- React with Redux and Apollo
- Shared component library implementing our design system
- GraphQL and RESTful APIs, built-in nodejs running on AWS Lambda and ECS
- CloudFormation and CDK for infrastructure
- Micro-services approach to back-end architecture
- Data stores using DynamoDB, Postgres, ElasticSearch, Clickhouse, and S3
- Jenkins and BitBucket (some teams use git-flow based branching strategies, others do trunk-based development)
- Docker for local development
If you are looking to work for a company that matters, a company which has a significant and growing impact in the world, and if having a sense of purpose and contribution is important to you, we want to hear from you.Additional Information
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice