Motorway is the UK's fastest-growing used car marketplace. We're disrupting a decades old industry by helping private car owners sell their car for the best possible price through an online platform of car dealers.
Our innovative, online, product-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up, build amazing products, and change an industry.About The Team
This role is based in our fourteen strong product development team where you will develop major features and new products in our roadmap. It's an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.About The Role
This is a varied role, where you'll work on everything from architecting new features to performance optimisation and on apps designed for consumers through to expert users.
You'll perform this role across all our products including
- Developing front-end technology, launching new features and optimising performance
- Developing customer-facing code and UI with a focus on usability, performance and progressive enhancement
- Working with our internal APIs to provide read and write data to our backend services
- Working closely with design and product teams to create work that has excellent UX and production values
- Working in our flat-structured development team, and getting involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
- Championing and implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
- Our customer-facing seller website at motorway.co.uk (an isomorphic React app) and our B2B product (pro.motorway.co.uk) as well as internal tools
- Our internal app, Dashboard, where the Motorway team access customer and vehicle data and report on performance
- Our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs
- A degree or college-level education in computer science, technology, or another web or design-related subject
- Experience working with version control (we use Git and GitHub), automated testing and continuous integration
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- A passion for technology and software, demonstrated by personal projects, blog posts or contributions to open source projects
- A competitive salary.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- BUPA health insurance.
- A stake in the business, via our stock option programme, enabling you to share in the future growth and success of Motorway.
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway Car Leasing Scheme
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals.
- Regular social events.
- Discounted Calm membership.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
- The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
- The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.