A hi-tech communications company with headquarters in the UK is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join their User Insights team. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished and highly experienced backend developer with a deep understanding of development principles, data engineering, API design as well as excellent communication skills.
You'll have an instrumental part to play in the ongoing architecture and development of high-value customer-centric features, contributing to the existing code base, collaborating closely with the rest of your squad and facilitating work with other development squads in the department where necessary.OVERALL JOB PURPOSE AND/OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
CAPABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE
- Working closely with the existing Tech Lead, challenging each other's opinions, and collaborating on direction, architecture and design of new APIs and enhancements to existing functionality.
- Driving CI & automation initiatives to improve deployment practices, including GitLab Pipelines, Terraform and Docker configuration.
- Design and develop simple solutions to complex problems which demonstrate scalability, performance, and resilience.
- Play an active and engaged role in squad meetings and ceremonies, working closely with product managers and agile coaches to understand customer needs and shape requirements that enable iterative development and fast feedback.
- Work closely with the Infrastructure team to create strategies for cloud hosting (we use AWS) and deployment, advising on and utilising the most appropriate solutions to fit the current need.
- Ensure your squad's work is appropriately documented and adheres to company software standards that you will take an active part in shaping.
- Actively participate in and help grow the Communities of Practice we have founded to provide a centre of excellence as well as coaching and mentoring.
- Work with our support teams to help diagnose and resolve software issues.
- A comprehensive understanding of the software development domain, complete with principles, patterns and best practices, and the capability to both personally and collaboratively produce work to those standards.
- Web API design & development using REST, with associated standards such as OAS3 and JSON schema.
- API tooling and infrastructure.
- Agile development methodologies and practices, particularly iterative and incremental delivery of customer-driven value.
- Test-driven development. CI/CD with Gitlab pipelines.
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure, AWS & Kubernetes would be advantageous.
- Practical experience with database technologies such as MySQL.
- Working knowledge of data engineering pipelines.
- Terraform, Angular and React experience would be beneficial.
- Telephony/telco knowledge desirable.