ROLE HOMEBASED, SALARY UP TO £30,500
Every day, around 300 people are diagnosed with macular disease. It's the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK. Macular disease is cruel and isolating. It steals your sight, your independence, and your ability to do the things you love. There is only one way to Beat Macular Disease for good.
The Macular Society is working to deliver our ultimate ambition - to Beat Macular Disease for the next generation. We are determined to end the fear and isolation of macular disease with world-class research and the best advice and support.
As PR & Communications Officer you will work with the PR & Content Manager to manage all our PR and communications, to raise the profile of Macular Disease and communicate the need and impact of its work to key audiences.
We are looking for a talented, results driven PR & comms expert, passionate about story-telling and capable of translating complex research and health information into credible, compelling consumer facing communications. Key accountabilities of the role
Person specification Essential:
- To champion our values of being supportive and caring, acting with integrity and honesty at all times.
- Play a key role in the development and delivery of our media and PR plans to raise the profile of the Macular Society and the impact of its research programme.
- Support the development of engaging, timely and relevant content for web and social media channels.
- Research, draft and distribute media notices, media comments, articles, features and letters often to tight deadlines.
- Use your influencing skills, and existing media relationships to build a presence in the media and general awareness of issues relating to macular disease.
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage to deliver quarterly reports.
- Support the promotion of the monthly virtual clinic events
- Implement a PR & Media plan for groups and regional fundraisers.
- Arrange and co-ordinate interviews and photo opportunities to secure media coverage.
- Work closely with the PR and Content Manager and the fundraising team to provide proactive and responsive support for fundraising campaigns and appeals.
- Provide strong and engaging social media and web content.
- Assist with social media support out of hours
- Experience of communicating complex information to a range of audiences. Health and science communications experience highly desirable.
- Ability to get media coverage and profile.
- Great interpersonal skills and resilience, able to build strong working relationships with colleagues, journalists and external contacts.
- Assist with building a content plan for multiple channels, which maximisesproactive and reactive opportunities and delivers engaging and inspiring communications to our audiences.
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills, with experience of working under pressure and delivering to tight deadlines.
- Engaging and inspiring written and verbal communication skills, with good attention to detail
- Creative, with a good eye for a story and the ability to develop a strong media hook.
- Strong interview skills with the ability to interview people discuss sensitive and emotional subjects.
- Sound knowledge of the media landscape with an ability to pick out opportunities in the news agenda.
- Good understanding of the role of social media in PR with experience of editing and publishing to social media platforms
- Demonstrable experience of working in a press office, either in house or agency, and a track record of securing coverage through successful media relations.
- Knowledge of and empathy with issues relating to sight loss
- Experience of working for a charity
- CIPR Diploma or journalism qualification highly desirable.
Eligibility to work in the UK:
Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK.