This position is part of Novanta's Laser Quantum business unit. Laser Quantum
is a world-class manufacturer of high quality solid-state and ultrafast laser sources. Our products are known for their reliability, compactness, performance-excellence, and long operational lifetimes. You will find our products, with their patented technology, in laboratories and integrated into systems and machines worldwide, for numerous applications. Meeting the needs of each application is essential in the research and design to achieve exceptional lasers.
This job is responsible for the
design and development of DPSS lasers (CW and pulsed) and diode laser systems.Optical Development EngineerKey Responsibilities:
- Designing and developing DPSS lasers (CW and pulsed) and diode laser systems
- Designing and developing sub-systems
- Testing and optimization of laser and system designs
- Design for manufacture, helping drive successful designs into a production environment through NPI processes and collaboration with cross functional teams
- Optical design via simulation/modelling and incremental improvements
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
- Strict compliance with the quality, occupational safety and environmental regulations
- Implementation of the instructions of the quality / environmental management representative and the occupational safety specialist.
Particular aptitude/ personal attributes required:
- MSc/MEng in a laser or optics related field (a Ph.D./EngD in laser physics or related field is desirable)
- Proven experience of laser design and optimization within the laser industry
- Hands-on experience of alignment of a range of optical systems
- Experience in 1 or 2 of these fields: DPSS lasers, non-linear optics (SHG, OPO, Raman, ...), fiber technologies (lasers, amplifiers, or telecoms), high-power laser diodes
- Experience in Design for Manufacture and New Product Introduction
- General understanding of laser-related subjects: Gaussian beam optics, polarisation optics, phase-matching criteria and objectives, cavity design
- Optical modeling and programming ability: Matlab, Python or equivalent
- Experience of Zemax
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- An organized and structured approach to problem-solving.
- Good team player with the ability to work independently.
- Competitive salary + Annual Bonus.
- Pension Scheme.
- Healthcare Scheme.
- Flexible Working Hours