Head of Cyber SecurityCompetitive Salary + Excellent BenefitsWhy choose the University of York?
The University of York is an iconic Russell Group University, set in the picturesque medieval town in North Yorkshire. It's made up of about 25,000 users and with a turnover of around £400m per annum.
It is an exciting time to join the University as they emerge from the pandemic with new ways of working and a strategic change programme that is underpinned by an ambitious programme of digital transformation. If you are looking to make a real difference and bring a new vision on cyber security and ways of working, this might be the perfect opportunity for you.
The University is now embarking upon a digital transformational journey, enhancing and focusing strongly on improving the overall experience for both students, staff and its wider communities along with delivering efficiencies, enhanced security and value for money. These areas of investment include AWS, Salesforce, UX, WIFI improvements, cyber security, user-centred design and agile working to name a few of their transformational initiatives.The role
As a passionate Head of Cyber Security, you will lead and manage the function strategically and operationally, motivating a team of around 5 cyber security professionals that ensure the safekeeping of the University's complex and diverse technical landscape.
You will develop a multi-year strategic security plan to improve identified weaknesses and be a key contact for operational incidents and projects involving security.
You will provide specialist and expert advice to other teams within IT and elsewhere across the University. Assisting the senior leadership team by providing insight, advice and guidance on cyber security and you will develop and review security policies and procedures. You will liaise with the Data Protection Office and Head of Legal on issues around information governance.
You will direct the development and oversight of strategic security vendor relationship management and identify security related developments and emerging technologies that will enhance the University's security and initiatives for the future.Your profile
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience
- Significant experience of leading a technical security function in a highly pressurised, large complex environment
- Detailed understanding of at least one relevant technology such as desktop security, infrastructure or cloud security
- Extensive knowledge of IT security and best practice
- Ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the department and be an ambassador for cyber security across the university
- Budget, procurement and vendor management
- Experience of working with standards such as ISO 27001 or Cyber Security Essentials
- A Qualification in Cyber or Information Security would be advantageous but not essential (e.g. CISSP, ISO 27001 lead auditor etc)
As an employer of choice, the University of York offers a competitive benefits package including:
- You will be a driven and dynamic leader who is experienced at engaging, challenging, negotiating and influencing at all levels
- High level, proven inter-personal and communication skills are essential, as is the ability to lead, and motivate a team of technical security professionals
- Adaptable and flexible with the ability to form strong working relationships with stakeholders across the organisation at all levels
Closing Date: Wednesday 29th SeptemberVirtual Interview Date: Week commencing 11th OctoberTo view more information about working at the University of York and this vacancy please visit our designated recruitment microsite:
- Competitive salary package dependent on experience
- 30 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Excellent pension package (23.7% employer contribution)
- Access to training and development opportunities
- Flexible and remote working arrangements available
- Subsidised onsite gym and discounts on a number online and retail venues