The Health and Safety Advisor will be responsible for the planned, effective and commercially viable delivery of a range of health and safety support activities to a range of clients across the U.K. and sometimes internationally. This will include but not be limited to the provision of Safety Inspections; Safety Reports; Production of RAMS; Safe Systems of Work; and COSHH assessments as required in line with either the terms of existing contract / retainer provision or as separately quoted work.
The Health and Safety Advisor (HSA) will work in conjunction with and support the Senior Health and Safety Advisor (SHSA) ensuring commitment to the highest standard of advice, support and guidance to the company's client base and that all works are planned using the company planning system and guidelines. Each HSA will manage a portfolio of clients and will also therefore act as a Key Account Manager (KAM) for these clients in addition to their day to day role as a professional Health and Safety Advisor.
In addition to the responsibility to provide day to day HandS technical support on all planned HandS related matters, the post holder must operate successfully by providing solutions, support and guidance to enable the creation and implementation of Project Health and Safety Services (PHSS) HSEQ strategies, plans and initiatives as required including the development of the PHSS Business Management System (BMS) and other products and services development.
The post holder will work in close collaboration with the other members of the PHSS team establishing cross working relationships to ensure that each KAM is supported appropriately in delivering services to meet client needs. This will mean providing technical support, inspection attendance and other activities for clients managed by other HSAs for the wider benefit of the company.Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Liaison with the SHSA and Business Services Manager (BSM) to ensure full understanding of the clients that make up the key account management portfolio.
- As KAM for a range of PHSS clients you will understand the commercial arrangements which relate to your portfolio of clients and the commensurate range of services and days/hours which have been costed in to each contract allowing you to plan inspections and support appropriately ensuring that costs are fully recovered in line with the contract/retainer and that works carried out over and above the contract / retainer are recovered through individual quotations. Loss leading work must be agreed with the SHSA or MD in advance of committing any additional works to clients.
- All planned inspections and cyclic meetings must be planned using the PHSS planning/loading process to ensure that each advisor has an effective efficient weekly work plan. All re-planning has to be carried out to ensure load levelling, visibility and efficiency - the work plan seeks to achieve productivity and billing targets, whilst ensuring clear visibility of short term workload. The process input and adjustment timescales must be adhered to in support of the SHSA.
- The HSA must ensure at all times that they represent PHSS in a professional manner and that their conduct is of the highest standard. HSAs must check with clients that operations are in progress and staff are on site before each visit except in the case of unannounced visits. Where planned visits are not possible, it is vital that HSAs look to re-plan and pull forward other visits to fill gaps in planned inspection loading.
- Carry out multiple HSA activities, or allocate to other HSA team members by mutual agreement as required, including inspections, investigations and behavioural safety conversations with personnel and other activities commensurate with the role of HSA or KAM whilst ensuring client commitments are met.
- Provide clients with well thought through inspections with identification of key hazards uppermost in mind during site visits. All high risk non-compliant issues should be highlighted immediately to senior staff on site and to PHSS senior management. Recommended Safety Stand Downs as required.
- Provide clients with timely, accurate well documented safety inspection reports designed to highlight and reduce hazards in each workplace inspected and to provide appropriate professional advice to each client in support of their risk management processes.
- Attend weekly, monthly or quarterly client safety meetings ensuring that advice is provided at meetings in support of client HSE compliance.
- Manage your Key Client Accounts ensuring that service is delivered in line with contracts /retainers, ensuring a high quality of service is delivered to the satisfaction of the client, whilst ensuring the commercial success of each key client on behalf of PHSS.
- Organise and deliver either directly or via another HSA by agreement, other client requirements such as Accident and Incident Investigations and all other client' needs as appropriate (in line with contract / retainers). Where there is a lack of clarity or concern in relation to this, the issue should be escalated to the SHSA.
Products and Services
- PHSS sell a range of products and services, HSAs will be expected to promote and cross sell such products and services as a wider commitment to client compliance but not however in such a manner as to compromise the integrity of PHSS as a health and safety consultancy.
- HSAs will be expected to input to the development, introduction and implementation of new products and services as may be developed by the company from time to time.
Skills, Qualifications, Experience and Behaviours
- HSAs will implement the company BMS system in line with company protocols and ensuring compliance with current Health, Safety and Environmental Legislation, Regulations and Guidance as the company BMS develops.
- Demonstrate Leadership in all aspects of HSEQ and ensure that these behaviours are prevalent during all client interfaces and site visits.
- Ensure during site visits as appropriate that competency checks are carried out and that inductions, tool box talks and all works are carried out in line with client RAMS/SSoW as a basic prerequisite from each client site visit.
- Ensure as appropriate during all client site visits that all plant and equipment on site are fit for purpose and have up to date certificates in place as a prerequisite from each client site visit.
- Ensure PHSS quality control is in line with requirements of the BMS at all times, including that all checks are carried out in line with procedures and recorded on forms as appropriate and in line with the company BMS as it develops.
- Ensure that all PHSS operations are carried out in such a manner as to protect the HSAs personal safety, and that of their colleagues whilst ensuring the work of the company does not negatively impact on the environment and is always in line with the current health, safety and environmental legislation, regulations and guidance.
Education: Professional, Academic, Technical and Vocational Qualifications For the Role
- NEBOSH Diploma/European equivalent or working towards this qualification.
- SVQ L4 or equivalent in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Chartered membership of IOSH or equivalent or working towards this level of recognised association membership.
- An appropriate technical qualification from an engineering or similar discipline at Craft, Diploma or Degree Level.
Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Highly skilled in the analysis of technically demanding and detailed information in relation to health and safety with the ability to quickly identify the underlying issues and risks associated with these in a range of working environments.
- Be capable of identifying risks and their implications whilst having strong communication skills to be able to put across complex concepts and data in a way that is readily understood and actionable to support the management of such risks for clients.
- Effective management of operational HSEQ on site.
- Problem Solving in relation to HSEQ activities.
- Incident investigation and reporting experience as an investigation team member.
- In depth Knowledge of HSEQ Management.
- Management of client requirements on a commercially successful basis.
Main Job Role Objectives
- Good interpersonal skills
- Effective communicator internal and external (incl stakeholders).
- Good Time Management.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Flexible and adaptable.
Proactive management and participation in the delivery of all of the job holders key client account services including inspection, meeting attendance, accident / incident investigation, technical support and developing, maintaining and improving client HSE performance in the control of risks across all allocated client operations and projects in line with the PHSS weekly plan and client contract / retainer. Establish, re- allocate where required and maintain the required programme meetings, forums and engagements which plan, manage, monitor, coordinate and review client HSE compliance in accordance with the contract/retainer or quoted work for the client in support of meeting their legal obligations in terms of health and safety.
Promote PHSS, its brand, staff, products and services to clients and prospective clients at all times in a professional manner. Follow up and liaise on all client requirements, commercial opportunities etc via the SHSA.
Will be required to travel across the U.K. and sometimes internationally, finding the most time/commercially acceptable logistics in support of this whilst ensuring good time management and flexibility in support of professional delivery.Key Performance Areas
Target Description - Target Measure
HSA Productivity - 80% +
Completion of Planning Processes - Weekly
Key Account Profitability (Billability) - Target 12.5% Net Margin
Quality of Client Service Delivery - Client Satisfaction Questionnaire
PHSS BMS - Full Compliance
Financial - Meet Budget +/- 5% varianceJob Progression Potential
- Senior Health and Safety Advisor