Job Title: Control System Testing, Commissioning and Maintenance Engineer
Location: 30 Roman Ridge Road, Sheffield S9 1GA
Reports to: EC & I Departmental Manager
Salary: Negotiable according to experience, 25 days annual leave plus statutory holidays, 5% matched pension contribution, Westfield Health, Life assurance 2 x salary, flexi-time system, social room with darts, pool, video games etc
Sheffield based SCX Special Projects is a highly profitable business which started life over 30 years ago. It designs, builds, commissions and maintains bespoke engineering solutions to complex lifting and moving challenges for structures, materials and people for its customers in the nuclear energy, defence, aviation and kinetic architecture sectors.
Its highly-talented team of 60 has a global reputation having delivered numerous iconic projects in nuclear energy at Sellafield and Dounreay, retractable roofs for Wimbledon's Centre Court and No. 1 Court, the world's first dividing and retractable pitch at Tottenham Hotspur FC, on-board systems for the HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales aircraft carriers, advanced production line handling and test systems for Rolls Royce engines and F-35 Lightning jets, and many others.
With the backing of its investors Elysian Capital the business is implementing a strategy which will see significant domestic and international growth.
As a part of this growth plan SCX Special projects is currently looking for ten new members of its engineering, operations and HR teams. The teams will continue to grow over the next few years.
This role will enhance the existing SCX Special Projects control systems design, build, testing and commissioning activities in order to deliver best in class designs and operational excellence to our clients. The role will require collaborative working with all departments within Special Projects to improve efficiencies across the system build, testing and commissioning elements of our works.
Many of SCX SP crane and moving structure control systems are complex and include PLC/HMI/VSD equipment and as such the role requires experience and technical competence in these areas.
Working as part of the Control System Design Department, provide the EC&I workshop and site resource during the installation and commissioning phases of a project plus on-going routine electrical maintenance of the control systems.
The role will include technical support activities followed by the workshop and site based electrical works required to install, commission and maintain cranes/moving structures etc.
• Previous experience in the installation and testing of electrical control systems PLC/HMI literate to enable testing, commissioning and fault finding using programming laptop
• Familiarity with safe systems of work, permit systems etc and knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
• Knowledge of Electrical Wiring Regulations
• Conversant with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
• This role includes the need to work away during our site testing and commissioning activities.
• Knowledge of Machinery Safety Regulations (BS EN 13849-1)
• Hold current 18th Edition Wiring Regulations certification
• Knowledge of control system instrumentation such as Laser Positioning systems, position and speed encoders, safe access systems
• Knowledge and experience of Overhead Electrical Travelling Cranes (OHETC's)
If you are interested in this role or with other opportunities with SCX please contact our recruitment partner Chris Carter at Nicholas Associates Group in Sheffield
Read on for more information about the Control System Testing, Commissioning and Maintenance Engineer role at SCX Special Projects in Sheffield