PPD's mission is to improve health. It starts as an idea to find a cure. It becomes a life saved. All in-between, it's you! We know that meaningful results not only require the right approach, but also the right people. We invite you to re-imagine health promoting protocols with us, working alongside our talented, bright and energetic teams.
Our Project Delivery team directs, coordinates and manages the technical and operational aspects of projects, securing the successful completion of clinical trials. We collaborate with functional area leads to identify and evaluate fundamental issues on the project and ensure that solutions are implemented.
The Director, Project Management works effectively across multiple divisions to direct the delivery of projects/programs within cost, time and quality requirements. He/she may provide direct supervision, support, training and mentoring to project managers and work with leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and managed appropriately.
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well being of our employees.
Works effectively across multiple divisions to direct the delivery of projects/programs within cost, time and quality requirements. May provide direct supervision, support, training and mentoring to project managers. Works with leadership in all functional areas on the continuous development/improvement of business processes to support cross functional teams and to ensure that work is uniform, complete and managed appropriately. Serves as a liaison with Business Development and Bids/Contracts for the client presentations and proposal development. Assists in resource utilization, policy development, and implementation of goals.
This position may be responsible for directing and leading the activities of a therapeutic area within a Region and accountable for the P&L of a specific therapeutic area. Develops and drives the specific and overall therapeutic area strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets. Has overall responsibility for instigating and leading change initiatives within the therapeutic area and works with peers of Therapeutic areas in the overall leadership of the Project Management group.
- Ensures the timely execution of clinical trials with a focus on quality deliverables. Facilitates hand-off meetings and kick-off meetings to identify potential risks and work with the project team to develop and communicate contingency plans. Ensures project risks and potential contingencies impacting time/quality/cost of deliverables are discussed with Senior Management through appropriate escalation pathways. Reviews and assesses project profitability through the identification of "out of scope" activity in a timely manner and supporting follow through on all aspects of contract modification.
- Manages the overall budgeting activity of the groups - annual and long range forecast.
- Accountable for the line management of project managers and senior project managers. Effectively recruits, inducts and retains staff. Provides ongoing coaching and feedback including formal performance appraisals, development plans and career coaching. Responsible for proposing salary and bonus recommendations and supporting recommendations with appropriate documentation.
- Communicates with sponsor(s) regularly to obtain direction and feedback on implementing scope of work as well as performance to date. Identifies unusual or significant problems encountered during the course of a clinical trial and proposes strategies for preventing or correcting significant problems.
- Assists in business development activities to obtain additional contracts by writing and reviewing proposals, making presentations to potential clients and representing the location/division at appropriate professional meetings and conferences. Fosters client relationships and supervise strategic sell initiative of the division.
Education and Experience:
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 12+ years) or equivalent and relevant combination of education, training, & experience.
5+ years of management responsibility
Strong leadership skills
Years of experience refers to typical years of related experience needed to gain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. Years of experience are not to be used as the only determining factor in establishing the job class or making employment selection decisions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem solving ability.
- Effective organizational skills and negotiation skills.
- Expert knowledge of project management principles and application.
- Knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and resource management.
- A relationship builder who is able to work effectively in matrix organizations.
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines and Directives.
- Skilled in process improvement, especially as it applies to clinical trials, clinical development and project management.
- Knowledge of medical therapeutic area and medical terminology.
- Strong marketing skills
- Computer skills.
PPD values the health and well being of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
This role requires independent travel up to 20%, inclusive of traveling in automobiles, airplanes, and trains.
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer's trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD -
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world's most urgent health needs, then please submit your application - we'd love to hear from you.