Head of Secondary Mathematics MasteryReports to:
Director of Curriculum Programmes or Head of Programmes and Product ManagementDirect Reports:
Principal Design Lead and/or Design LeadLocation:
Full TimeClosing date:
10am on 17 September 2021Start date:
1 November 2021Salary:
£50,000 - £65,000About the role:
Reporting to the Head of Programmes and Product Management, the Head of Secondary Mathematics Mastery is accountable for the impact of the programme on teachers and pupils and for its sustainability. They have a deep understanding of best practice in teaching mathematics and of how to support and develop teachers to improve the effectiveness of their teaching. They will help build the programme's external profile, sharing the thinking on curriculum design and developing strong advocates for our approaches. They maintain a deep understanding of current users' experience and assess the market in order to develop a pipeline for new products and/or programme developments to increase our reach and impact over time. They manage the continual improvement strategy with Ark Schools for the programme. They lead a team of in-house and out-of-house curriculum writers, and ensure rigorous and effective content management processes are followed. They will also be hands-on working alongside their team on programme design and curriculum writingKey Responsibilities and Duties:
- Leadership: Develop and implement the programme strategy that contributes to the overall organisational mission, strategy and sustainability.
- Research and External profile: Keep abreast of sector and subject developments, legislative changes, research findings and innovative practice on a national and international level and ensure this informs programme design.
- People management: Lead and inspire the programme team and external contributors to deliver a consistently high performance to meet defined goals and objectives
- Commercial leadership and fundraising: Accountable for the sustainability of the relevant programme and the impact it has on teachers and pupils. Oversee and manage the programme design budget, ensuring costs and expenditure are within plan.
- Product management: Assess the market for new product concepts and maintain a deep understanding of current users' experience in order to develop a pipeline for new products and/or programme developments
- Content creation and management: Develop and maintain a pool of high-quality external curriculum writers, building that pool over time and taking responsibility for the associated relationship management
- General: Identify and carry out any other duties which fall within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post as requested.
Experience, knowledge and skills
- An experienced andconfident leaderwith a proven ability to lead and implement change effectively and sustainably.
- Ability to probe, challenge and question appropriatelyandstrive for continual improvement.
- Vision aligned with Ark Curriculum Plus's high aspirations and expectations of self and others.
- Demonstrates knowledge of education developments and best practice in the teaching of mathematics.
- Experience of successful mathematics curriculum and teaching resources development and implementation.
- Experience of designing or leading mathematics professional development for teachers
- Strong national network of mathematics education experts.
- Has a strategic outlook when making decisions
- An understanding of the opportunities and challenges of working in the non-profit sector.
- Ability to multi-task and re-prioritise workload quickly while at the same time supporting direct reports.
- Highly numerate with experience of financial planning, management and reporting.
- Strong negotiation skills and experience of working with external partners.
- Strong track record in growing a customer/user base.
- Experience of overseeing content creation and content management processes.
- Educated to degree level
- Shows a significant commitment to ongoing professional development and specialist qualifications.
About Ark Curriculum Plus:
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising with each year of service
- We are committed to providing high-quality professional learning throughout your career with us and offer a variety of training sessions and experiences designed to meet your needs
- Access to Ark Rewards scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers, interest-free loans available for season tickets or a bicycle and gym discounts offering up to 40% off your local gym
Ark Curriculum Plus is a not-for-profit education venture. Our mission is to empower teachers to give every young person, regardless of their background, the subject knowledge and skills that will allow them to succeed. We believe that great curriculum design and delivery leads to improved teaching and learner outcomes, which impacts positively on children's life chances.
Our commitment is to empower and equip schools to provide high quality subject teaching, through curriculum and integrated professional development, in order to develop young people's subject mastery.
We are grown out of one of the highest performing Multi Academy Trust's in the UK. Our connection with Ark gives us our experience and our specialist expertise earned while we developed and taught curriculum across our own network of 37 successful academies in the UK.
Our programmes, including Mathematics Mastery and English Mastery, are now used by over 700 schools in the UK, including the 37 schools in the Ark network. Having pioneered the mastery approach and been recognised by Ofsted, we also influenced the adoption by the Department for Education of a mastery approach to teaching mathematics. It has been proven through independent impact trials that learners on our programmes make additional months' progress.How to Apply:
Apply with a CV and cover letter on our online recruitment portal. Applications to be submitted by 10am on 17 September 2021
but please note : we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; all successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Ark Schools are committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, with a broad range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.