Are you a compassionate individual with experience supporting primary aged children with severe learning disabilities, SLD, based near Ealing, West London?
Tradewind are currently recruiting for a Teaching Assistant for an amazing SEN Special Needs school in Ealing working with children with autism and profound and multiple learning disabilities. The role is full time and will start in September on a long-term basis for the full academic year at least, until July 2022 and will most likely become permanent for the right candidate.
The school is an Outstanding Ofsted rated school providing for students with severe and profound and multiple learning disabilites and autism (SLD, PMLD and autism ASD / ASC) aged between 2 and 11 years old. Students can also have physical disabilities, medical and care needs, sensory and behavioural difficulties.
• Experience supporting young people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, PMLD.
• Trained in moving and handling, hoisting and or Team Teach.
• Experience using PECS, Makaton, ABA, Intensive interaction.
• Positive and friendly approach.
• A caring and professional manner, willing to support with the personal care of pupils.
• Must have legal right to work in the UK.
The main responsibility of this highly rewarding role is to support the class teacher in all lessons with the educational and social needs of pupils in Years 5 and 6 with complex PMLD, assisting in the practical organisation of class activities and performing 1:1 and group work with students to keep them engaged and making progress.
Students are engaged in a variety of ways in and out of the classroom from swimming in the school's hydrotherapy pool on site, physio sessions to inclusive floor play for students who require the use of wheelchairs. For these students, experience and training is beneficial with moving and handling and or hoisting, although if you have not done this before the school can provide training.
Other students at the school have a range of abilities including many who are on the most severe end of the ASD autism spectrum and are nonverbal, communicating through Makaton and PECS. Experience with this is beneficial but training may be an option for less qualified staff.
Many students have sensory needs so often benefit from messy play and other sensory learning which provides children with a tactile and sensory experience which enhances learning, communication and creativity. Some students are also on a sensory diet so you will be supporting and encouraging them in their daily scheduled activities to help students stay focussed, organised and calm at the right times.
A key responsibility will be to attend to the needs of pupils throughout the day which includes their personal care, physical mobility including physiotherapy and also eating/drinking needs.
The school is within walking distance from 2 tube stations and 2 train lines and is easily accessible by a number of bus routes.
Click 'Apply Now' to be considered for this great position as a SEN Teaching Assistant in Ealing, West London. Or for more information about the role, contact Tom Meredith on (phone number removed) option 3 or .
1. As a Sunday Times Top 100 employer, we're committed to putting candidates & staff first
2. We employ the best in the business to provide an exceptional service to our candidates
3. Top rates of pay (all rates are typically inclusive of holiday pay, however we will happily accrue this upon request)
4. More free CPD courses than any other education recruiter
5. Awarded REC Audited Education Gold Standard status and we're proudly an Equal Opportunities Employer