At Mitie, you will be working for the UK's leading facilities management and professional services company. Looking after a large, diverse, blue-chip customer base, from banks and retailers, to hospitals, schools and government offices. You will be part of a workforce with over 77,000 people, 100+ office locations, and thousands of customers across the country, there is no limit to what you can achieve if you work for us.
The Financial Controller reports to the Finance Director and is part of the Waste finance team. The Financial Controller is responsible for the monitoring of the control environment of the business and for ensuring compliance with Group Accounting Policies and compliance with the Group Controls Framework. They will also ensure reported results comply with general accounting principles and international financial reporting standards. The Financial Controller will act as the main interface for Group Finance processes and requests and is the key Business Unit contact during the group audit process.
The individual will be a qualified accountant, ideally with extensive PQE, excellent analytical skills and an ability to understand and solve complex issues. The individual is a good communicator, have excellent stakeholder management skills and be an effective influencer, comfortable working in a matrix environment in a growing business.
Job objectives and responsibilities
• Support local and offshore Finance teams in production of the Waste monthly management accounts (P & L, balance sheet, Cash flow) within the Waste month end and Group timetables
• Responsible for ensuring all month-end reporting schedules and deliverables are submitted to Group Finance
accurately and on time
• Responsible for co-ordination of monthly cashflow forecasts and reporting, and liaising with Group Treasury
• Responsible for correct accounting and reporting of BU overheads, indirect central costs and supplier Growth Incentives
• Support local Accounts Payable and Credit Control teams to ensure ledgers are well-maintained and accurate
• Support and drive the operational teams via the Head of Commercial Finance to continually improve and maximise the working capital position.
• Contribute to the M.I. and Reporting design and build requirements to ensure they meet the financial and commercial needs of the business.
• Act as main support to offshore RtR team to ensure activities are completed in an accurate and timely manner
• Manage and co-ordinate posting of centrally recharged costs (e.g. fleet, fuel, expenses)
• Main Waste interface in the group audit process
• Main interface for Group Finance requests including Intercompany processes
• Ensure BU controls are in place and monitored for such things as tax processes.
• Work closely with Head of Commercial Finance to co-ordinate Group Finance deliverables for Waste e.g. Annual Operating Plan, budgeting and forecasting processes, cash forecasting, Waste MBRs and QPRs
• Maintain adequate balance sheet controls and oversee periodic balance sheet reviews to ensure the businesses assets and liabilities are correctly stated, highlighting any issues or risks to Finance Director in a timely manner
• Ensure compliance with all Group Accounting Policies
• Work closely with other controllers across other BU's to ensure best practice is applied.
• As a Business Unit delivering and receiving services ensure all local legal and financial requirements are in place and followed accordingly. Flag any non-compliance as appropriate to ensure timely resolution, with no interruption to operational delivery.
• Qualified Accountant (ACA, CA, CIMA, ACCA) with extensive PQE or equivalent.
• Expert financial technical skills.
• Experience of Financial Control
• Strong communication skills at all levels.
• Strong operational management awareness.
• High level of integrity with a commitment to embedding a strong governance culture.
• High levels of organisational awareness and curiosity.
• Strong project management skills gained in fast-paced and growth business environments
• Able to understand and implement finance and operational processes and systems as required
This job description Is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for this position and the range of duties undertaken. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder throughout the period of employment. The job description may be varied from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the post holder's role and/or the needs of the business.