Finance & Operations Director
A hands on Finance and Operations Director is required to support the MD and leadership team in delivering the business's growth strategy and providing astute commercial insight and support.
This is a broad role with key aspects ranging across all areas of the business's financial management - from strategic planning and financing of expansion through to financial control and working capital management. An additional key requirement of the role is providing commercial guidance to all operational areas of the business.
This role has responsibilities in a number of areas as follows:
Strategic/Commercial: Provide input to the Board / Leadership Team in defining and shaping business strategy, business planning, trading strategy, commercial and operational policies, forecasting and working capital management. Additionally supporting Sales and Marketing in NPD and strategy.
Financial Control and reporting: Ensure that the business is excellently financially managed in a proactive and controlled manner, supported by robust processes and controls and IT systems fit for the current and planned scale of the business.
· Cash Flow and Funding Management & Forecasting
· Preparing Budgets & Financial Forecasts
· Daily/Weekly/Monthly Sales Reporting
· Delivery of monthly Management Accounts & Finance Report
· Credit Control and Credit Control Policy
· Managing Supplier Payments
· Reviewing and Executing Monthly Payroll
· Ensuring compliance with the company's VAT obligations
· Ensuring compliance with the company's PAYE obligations
· Ensuring compliance with the company's Corporation Tax obligations, liaising with the company's tax advisers as required
· Managing the collation and submission of the company's R&D Tax Credit claims
· Managing the delivery of the company's annual statutory accounts within the required timescales, liaising with external advisers and auditors as required
· Managing the relationship with company's Bank and other financial stakeholders
· Managing, and ensuring the adequacy of, the company's Insurance cover and managing the relationship with the Company's insurance brokers and insurers and insurance claims
· Maintain and manage the company's master Pricing & Margins database and ensure pricing decisions are always in line with the company's pricing and margins strategy
· Commercial Analysis to provide strategy-relevant insight and decision support
· Research into and implementation of all financial aspects of entering proposed New Markets
Lead and Direct the company's operational activities, to ensure smooth day-to-day of operations within the company.
· Identifying areas where cost savings and efficiency improvements can be made.
· Managing relationships with the company's Manufacturers and raw material/component suppliers
· Managing relationships with the company's Fulfilment Partners
· Monitoring and managing product Stock levels to ensure stock availability, including scheduling of all production orders
· Monitoring and managing sundries (packaging materials, samples and accessories) Stock levels to ensure stock availability, including replenishment orders
· Facilitating the onboarding of new customers and ensuring all account mobilisation requirements are completed within required timescales
· The company's Customer Care function and customer care policies
· The company's operational facilities, including its offices and managing the relationship with landlords and property advisers
· The company's IT & Telecoms systems and managing the relationship with the company's service providers, including IT support services
· Managing, and ensuring compliance with, the company's Import/Export responsibilities to ensure the smooth passage of goods into and out of the UK, including liaising with external service providers and agents as required
· Ongoing review, assessment and improvement of operational business processes and operational costs
· Research into, and implementation of, all operational aspects of entering proposed New Markets
Legal & Compliance
· Lead and Direct the company's legal and compliance activities, with responsibility for:
· Health & Safety policy, execution and reporting
· Creation and review of commercial contracts, liaising with the company's legal advisers as required
· Managing, and ensuring the adequacy of, the company's Trademark registrations and enforcement action, liaising with the company Trademark registrars and legal advisers as required
· The company's Company Secretary obligations
· Research into and implementation of all legal and compliance aspects of entering proposed New Markets
· Ensuring compliance with all relevant company and operational laws and regulations, including, but not limited to GDPR
· Strong personal drive
· A hands-on, detail oriented, pragmatic, analytical, persuasive character.
· A skilled driver of change and business improvement.
· Versatility and flexibility - ability to adapt to changes in agenda and task requirement and can work flexibly in/with a small, tight, team
· Team player - "hands on, sleeves up" approach
· Diligence to ensure work is completed to the highest standard; accurately and efficiently
· Takes full ownership of own role and objectives
· "Can do" approach with tenacity and strong desire to develop personal skills and experience in a dynamic, commercial environment
· Confident in own abilities but prepared to listen to, and draw on, colleagues with more experience in a particular area/context
· A lateral and inquisitive thinker - prepared to question the status quo whilst maintaining respect for the views of others
· Resourceful in seeking out appropriate advice and relevant resources when problem solving
· Highly commercial astute qualified accountant, ideally with experience in an entrepreneurial start-up company/SME business
· Experienced in building profitable start-up/SME businesses
· Optimising operational processes and costs in an start-up/SME context
· Understands business, finance and operations and how to build value rapidly
· An adept relationship-builder, skilled in communicating financial information to non-finance managers, able to provide constructive challenge and support to other Board members and business managers.
· Proven track record and experience of the following in multiple senior industry/commercial roles:
· Effective cash flow forecasting, monitoring and management
· Developing and improving management information and reporting regimes and in particular a suite of focused operational and business KPIs to enable Management to monitor and appraise business performance efficiently and effectively
· Implementing robust financial and operational processes
· Strong Excel skills at least at intermediate level
Nova search and selection is acting as an employment agency for this role