Chief Engineer - M25- Highways
Business Unit specific context
The MENS' BU (Project structuring, Operation and New Services) is one of the world leaders in the financial project structuring of PPP projects, as well as in the operation of infrastructures and services. In the road sector, this business operates and maintains 44 roads and highways, including civil structures such as bridges, viaducts and tunnels. Through 28 operating companies, employing more than 9,300 people in more than 20 countries, i.e. nearly 4,400 km.
In the airport sector, our BU operates, maintains and develops a network of 17 airports around the world, handling more than 30 million passengers and 330,000 tons of freight per year.
The MENS' BU also offers a wide range of services for its customers such as electronic toll collection, interoperability and on-street parking management.
M25, one of our flagship projects!
This business and the joint venture partners have formed (CPS), which is the company responsible for managing one of the busiest motorways in Europe through Highways England's largest Design build Finance operate (DBFO) contract. With over 600 people working across CPS and the contract running to 2039, this is a great opportunity to build an important part of your career on a major highways project.
On the M25 and other international projects, our teams have extensive opportunities to develop diverse ranges of expertise and experience whilst contributing to the successful delivery of key services across different sectors of the
Provide Technical leadership for (CPS) ensuring the ongoing development, knowledge and intelligence of our assets is used in the most efficient and effective way to maximise investments and performance on the M25.
Foster and create excellent customer relationships by meeting and exceeding expectations
As a key member of the M25 senior leadership team, you will work collaboratively with Managing Director and other senior stakeholders to successfully lead the technical team to support project priorities and delivery of contractual obligations. The scope of this role includes, but is not limited to, the duties described below:
* Ensure safety targets and standards are maintained by:
* Knowing what safety excellence looks like and communicating safety with passion and credibility, in order to inspire, motivate and lead the Engineering Team
* Fostering a continuous improvement culture by actively seeking input from all members of the Engineering and wider CPS Teams and encouraging them to implement safety improvements
* To work closely with the Asset and Project Delivery (A&PD) and Service Delivery (SD) Directors to formulate effective asset strategies consistent with the business strategy, setting clear priorities and objectives, identifying potential threats as well as opportunities.
* To work closely with the asset investment, technical, design, scheme delivery and service delivery teams across both (CP) and CPS to optimise the value of the asset and manage risk, whilst minimising the impact on the network and the environment to achieve the Highways England strategic objectives.
* To deliver a long-term whole lifecycle Integrated asset management approach and oversight of the end-to-end asset renewal investment process for the M25 DBFO Contract.
* Operational responsibility for Engineering Business Unit, a team of 35 to 40 staff specialised in multiple workstreams specific to this contract comprising: Design & Consultancy, Technical Assurance, Engineering Digital Systems and Digital Twin, Standards Change, Innovation, Asbestos Duty Holder, Network Stewardship, Road Safety Auditor, Asset Management Forward Plan support.
* Accountable for the design and consultancy CPS' team and the associated design framework including interface with CP design suppliers.
* Deliver the role of Principal Designer and assume oversight for wider CMD2015 requirements across CPS.
* Responsible for Change in Standards, facilitating agreement of the technical aspects of relating to contract change or other commercial issues.
* Deliver the role of Asbestos Duty Holder for CPS and DBFO Co. on behalf of CP.
* Nurture the innovation programme for CPS and liaise with CP Innovation Forum and Board; develop a "Safe to Fail" culture across CPS.
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
Professional Chartered Qualification- MICE, MIstructE, MIHT, MIAM, MIMechE, MIET or similar
Skills, knowledge and understanding of all design areas
Skills, knowledge and understanding of all operations areas (in particular on road operations)
Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation
Knowledge of Asset Management strategies and systems
Understanding of Environmental requirements of schemes
Knowledge of Quality Management & IMS
Knowledge of HE procedures desirable
Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure
Excellent communication and people management skills
Team building skills
Strong skills to communicate targets and priorities
Ability to develop relationships and engender trust at all levels of the organisation and with Clients
Planning (short, medium & long term) and Organising
Risk identification and management in agile environments
High level of ethical awareness - challenges unethical behaviour.
Excellent Collaborative skills; working with all key stakeholders.
Minimum level of education required
4-Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Minimum level of experience required