Environmental Health Officer
Environmental Health Officer position available in
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To carry out statutory enforcement responsibilities, investigations, give advice and provide a responsive and
proactive service in respect of environmental health functions in accordance with Service Delivery Plans. To
implement the Service's key priorities in respect of environmental health matters and undertake specialist
activities and project work.
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES (Output Based)
1. To carry out inspection programmes according to risk and in accordance with statutory requirements,
national guidance, Council policy and service delivery plans.
2. To respond to a wide range of complex service requests with advice on good practice in
accordance with statutory requirements and Council Policy, including advice to local retailers,
manufacturers and the suppliers of goods and services, concerning their legal responsibilities.
3. To make recommendations, regarding simple cautions and the institution of legal proceedings in
relation to public health, nuisance and general street scene issues in accordance with Council
policy. To produce witness statements, prosecution reports and present evidence in Court.
4. To undertake a specialist role acting as a consultant and advisor to colleagues, to maintain
information and legislation relating to that specialism and to ensure that new developments are
communicated to both the team, the Food Team leader and the Food & Safety Manager.
5. To participate in special projects / investigations, and to co-ordinate, as necessary.
6. To participate in the preparation and presentation of reports concerning the service.
7. To maintain premises and case files and other records including electronic records