who can provide creative challenge on financial and commercial strategy as an Independent Committee Member of the Finance Committee.
When a child is diagnosed with cancer it threatens everything, for them and their family. At a time when they should be busy being children, enjoying their rollercoaster teenage years or finding their feet at uni, life becomes full of fear. At Young Lives vs Cancer, we get that. We are the charity that helps children and young people (0-25) and their families find the strength to face whatever cancer throws at them.
We are looking for an independent committee member who will join the Finance Committee for a term of three years. The Finance Committee supports the Board with:
- Review of the financial implications of the charity's strategy
- Review of the translation of the strategy into short and longer-term financial plans
- Understanding financial performance and position of the organisation
- Recommending the reserves and investment policy to the Board for approval.
Independent Committee Members will:
- Contribute actively to the work of the Committee in order to ensure Young Lives vs Cancer has strong governance in place
- Help the Committee reach sound decisions, highlight matters for further consideration, and ensure sound risk management – contributing to discussion of current and future opportunities and risks, so that Young Lives vs cancer is in the best place possible to achieve its aims
- Within the opportunities offered through the Committee - listen to and promote the voice of children, young people and their families and the views of staff and volunteers and of supporters and contribute to an environment where staff and volunteers can, and want to, fight tirelessly for children and young people with cancer.
All individual committee members will be accountable and responsible to the Chair of the relevant Committee. All committee members will share responsibility for its decisions, and for establishing strong working relationships within the other members of Committee.
While you need to be comfortable with numbers, you do not necessarily need to have a financial background. It is more important that you take a strategic view, providing creative challenge on financial and commercial strategy.
You will have passion and expertise in your field, and you will have the ability to use your experience to contribute to the success of the Committee.
To be an Independent Committee Member you have to be over the age of 18. You’ll show commitment and passion for what we do and be willing to devote the time and energy needed, but you do not need to have served on a committee before. Knowledge or experience of the charity sector would be helpful but not essential. You will show a willingness to understand how charity boards work and the relationship between Boards, Committees and Executive Teams but we can help you develop these skills.
What's in it for the volunteer?
You will be joining Team Young Lives, a 900 strong volunteer team, passionate staff team and army of supporters that enable us to be there for children and young people.
You will work closely with a passionate and ambitious Board and Executive who believe children and young people with cancer and their families should have the same opportunities as anyone else. You will help Young Lives vs Cancer to thrive so that families do not face cancer alone.
A few more details
We want Young Lives vs Cancer to be an inclusive place for everyone to be at their best. We are committed to making the Independent Committee Member recruitment process inclusive, making the reasonable adjustments you need so that being a Committee Member is accessible for all.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview with trustees and staff. It will be confirmed nearer the time whether interviews will be held online or in person.
Four 2-3 hour meetings a year for 3 years (mainly online, but some travel to London and the South East), plus preparation and reading time.
How to apply
If you are interested in becoming an Independent Committee member for Young Lives vs Cancer, please include the following with your application: § A CV detailing your recent achievements, along with the details of two referees § A supporting statement that outlines your motivations for applying.
Deadline: 31 Aug 2021