The Assistant Accountant works with the Accounts Department predominately processing the weekly payrolls for all the theatrical productions produced or general managed by the company and providing the associated accounting and administrative assistance. In addition, the role will support the Production Accountants in recording and maintaining non-payroll financial records to support the weekly running accounts.Reports to
Head of FinanceDuties
Under the supervision of the Production Accountant, tasks including but not limited to:
Covering and Deputising
- Processing and reconciliation of weekly payroll across all the company's productions
- Maintain payroll processing system and records by gathering, calculating, and inputting data.
- Distributing payslips by email and answering payroll queries from employees about their pay.
- Identify, investigate, and resolve discrepancies in timesheet and payroll records.
- Determine organisation's tax obligations by calculating national and council taxes as well as National Insurance contributions and other associated payroll deductions such as season ticket loans, childcare vouchers etc.
- Employee starter and leaver procedures including manual calculations.
- Distribute wages through direct transfers to employees' bank accounts.
- Implementation of tax codes, student loans and SMP payments
- Calculation of overtime payments
- Liaison with HMRC and staying up to date on payroll regulations.
- Completion of all month-end tasks including the production of reports, payment and reconciliations of third-party deductions.
- Handle any changes in exemptions, job status, and job titles.
- Complete payroll reports for record-keeping purposes or managerial review
- Answer any questions from Production Coordinators and Company Managers about wages, deductions, attendance, and time records.
- Communication of relevant information to the Directors, Senior Production Controller, Production Coordinators and Company Managers
- Adhere to payroll policies and procedures and comply with relevant law.
- Honour confidentiality of employees' pay records.
- Supervise other accounts department employees as needed.
- Any other tasks reasonably required to assist the Head of Finance, Directors or other members of staff in their everyday duties.
Provide holiday and out of office cover for other members of the Accounts Department as required Annual Holiday
4 weeks per year pro rata Working Hours
Normally 10am to 6pm, 5 days a week Person Specification
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to work on a very varied and heavy workload and to juggle competing priorities.
- Excellent mathematical skills, accounting, record-keeping and bookkeeping skills,
- Basic understanding of tax procedures
- Excellent written, numeracy and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with benefits and other wage deductions
- Tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Eye for detail and accuracy
- A willingness to work as part of a team and cover other roles as necessary and capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Superior computer and typing skills and competence with spreadsheets.
- Experience of large amounts of data entry
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Previous experience in similar position
- Experience of Sage Line 50 and / or Quick Books
- An interest in theatre